Railroad Forums 

• Southern Railway SD35s at Alexandria

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#480874  by erielackawanna

Here is one of my Dad's pictures of a northbound Southern Railway freight at Alexandria VA. This was the last nb just before the 2-10-4 went south on August 27, 1977. Anyone still have their notes from that day and know what train this was?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 947&nseq=0

Charles Freericks

#480913  by hutton_switch

Sorry, I'm unable to provide you with answers or notes from what you're requesting, but I will say this much: I work on the tenth floor of the building in the background facing the tracks (Hoffman Building #2), and I get really good views of CSX, VRE, and Amtrak consists going by every day!

#481093  by erielackawanna

That's funny. Bet the view is a little different today than in the picture.

#481794  by hutton_switch

You're right. Thankfully, the tracks are still there. After moving to the area a little more than 20 years ago, I was able to catch a few years worth of activity at Pot Yards a bit north of the picture (behind your Dad) and would have liked to have seen the yards of the old Fruit Growers Express operation even earlier, a bit south of the picture.