Railroad Forums 

• Southern Pacific SD50s

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#50030  by Justin B

Only 7 of the 17 DRGW units made into SP paint, and they were all patched by the end of 2001. One or two might still be SP paint, if UP still rosters them. I think most of them are all gone since UP started dumping all of their SD50s a few years ago. I saw one DRGW SD50 on a manifest last year, so if they do exist they may be found on ex SP or Rio Grande rails in California or Colorado.

#50094  by AmtrakFan

Justin B wrote:Only 7 of the 17 DRGW units made into SP paint, and they were all patched by the end of 2001. One or two might still be SP paint, if UP still rosters them. I think most of them are all gone since UP started dumping all of their SD50s a few years ago. I saw one DRGW SD50 on a manifest last year, so if they do exist they may be found on ex SP or Rio Grande rails in California or Colorado.
I saw one in Illinois Years ago in SP paint no patch.

AmtrakFan

#50610  by drgwgp60

From what I know, UP's ex-Mopac and CNW SD50s were the only ones to be retired. The 17 ex DRGW/SP SD50's are the only ones that remain on the roster and some have been repainted in the lighting winged scheme. They still have the indentation on the nose where the headlights once were. I heard the reason why they weren't retired with the rest was because of something to do with the bank that financed the engines back when they were on the Rio Grande.