Railroad Forums 

• Southcoast Rail

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1625992  by wicked

Thanks. This is flying under the radar a fair bit.
 #1626049  by charlesriverbranch

Yesterday, waiting for a Green Line train at East Somerville, I saw an inbound Lowell Line train go by that included a car marked for South Coast Rail and listing several stations and the words "coming soon". It was pushed by a GP40 in blue MassDOT livery.
 #1626084  by MBTA3247

I think there are several such cars, and they've been carrying that ad for years.
 #1626902  by Maverickstation1

IMG_7465.JPG
IMG_7465.JPG (444.56 KiB) Viewed 977 times
Here is a recent picture taken at Berkley, the junction of the New Bedford and Fall River lines. As frequent visitors to Westport, we are looking forward to having a closer option for Commuter Rail (as opposed to Middleborough).
 #1626930  by BandA

[EDIT] Supposed to be 26 round-trip trains, 6 of which will be peak. Extended from Middleborough.
 #1626933  by jdh823

BandA wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:11 pm [EDIT] Supposed to be 26 round-trip trains, 6 of which will be peak. Extended from Middleborough.
As in 26 total, or 26 in each direction?
 #1626966  by BandA

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/route ... coast-rail
Phase 1 Commuter Rail Service Details

Phase 1 service will include a total of 26 trains (each-way) for weekday service. The MBTA will operate three morning peak trains and three evening peak trains to both New Bedford and Fall River. Taunton and Middleborough will see up to six morning and six evening peak trains because all of the service will pass through those communities.
During off-peak periods, three trains will operate on a 3-3 ½ hour frequency.
Operations details will be confirmed as design advances.
That is apparently split evenly between the Fall River Branch and the New Bedford Branch. Looks like a substantial increase over existing service. And they told us BOS was full, smh
 #1626997  by MBTA3247

That has to be the total number of inbound and outbound trains, and would actually be a modest reduction from the current 29 trains. I very much doubt that they could squeeze another 23 trains (running in either direction) through the bottleneck between Braintree and BOS to allow for 26 round-trips.
 #1627003  by Red Wing

Here's a novel idea. How about adding platforms in Braintree and terminating some trains there.
 #1627006  by GP40MC1118

This is Myricks. Also had a branch from Middleboro that came in on the left behind the photographer and north of the RT79 Crossing.
 #1627007  by BandA

I got the quote from the MBTA website, which says 26 round trips through Middleborough. The current summer schedule shows 36 round trips on the PVD Line, 21 round trips WOR Line, 17 round trips on Fitchburg Line. This is post-chinese coronavirus of course.
Last edited by BandA on Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.