Railroad Forums 

• Southbound freight on the NEC

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #385086  by amtrakhogger

travelrobb wrote:This afternoon, en route from NYP to Princeton Jct., we passed a freight train heading south/west on 2-Track. It had 40 cars, headed by an NS and a CSXT engine (in Conrail colors). This was between Elizabeth and Linden. I've never seen a freight train on this stretch of the NEC before, and certainly not in daylight. Anyone know what was up?
Conrail SAA runs a transfer from Oak Island Yard to Metuchen (and back)almost everyday. Lately, they have been using a C40-8 (CSX) and GP38-2 (NS) for power. I forget the symbol.

#385117  by Jersey Jeff

travelrobb wrote:How do we know it was a NS move? It had an NS engine and a CSXT engine? And wouldn't Amtrak have dispatched the train? Amtrak would decide what track it runs on, no?
I live and work along the NEC. I usually observe 2 or 3 trains running in each direction during the day. They generally look like mixed freights and never intermodal TTOFs. Before the Linden GM plant closed, I would see a few switchers and smaller locals.

Since Amtrak dispatches the SEPTA and NJ Transit trains that run on the NEC through NJ, why not the CSX freights?

#385343  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

yea i was just about to say, If amtrak dispatch's the other commuter trains, they dispatch the freight trains as well

#385676  by RDL 879

Pretty sad that a freight train on the NEC would be considered newsworthy. Anyone remember the days when passenger and freight trains actually-gasp-used the same tracks and no one gave it a second thought?

#417229  by Schuylkill Valley

I unlocked this thred, because I clean up a frew posts, If I see this topic going in the wrong direction again, then this topic with be locked once more.
Do we have an understanding?
So at that lets have some fun.

Leonard.

#424297  by lakeshoredave

If you want to see freight on the NEC, go hang out around Perryville, MD at night.....NS runs 5-10 through freights through there that go to DC, B-more, Deleware, etc.
 #425965  by gravelyfan

amtrakhogger wrote:[
Conrail SAA runs a transfer from Oak Island Yard to Metuchen (and back)almost everyday. Lately, they have been using a C40-8 (CSX) and GP38-2 (NS) for power. I forget the symbol.
ME-ten (the "one" key is broken on my keyboard, it wouldn't actually be spelled out).

Not sure if it runs 7 days per week, but I hear it most days arriving into Oak Island (Newark) in the mid afternoon. The connection from the NEC to Oak Island comes off at "Lane" Interlocking from track 2.

It's actually a Conrail (Shared Assets) train.
 #426109  by Wanderer

gravelyfan wrote:
amtrakhogger wrote:[
ME-ten (the "one" key is broken on my keyboard, it wouldn't actually be spelled out).

Not sure if it runs 7 days per week, but I hear it most days arriving into Oak Island (Newark) in the mid afternoon. The connection from the NEC to Oak Island comes off at "Lane" Interlocking from track 2.

It's actually a Conrail (Shared Assets) train.
YPME10 Mon-Fri
YPME84 Sat-Sun