Railroad Forums 

• South Jersey Historical Day (and Hospitality Lake Bridge!!)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#25187  by JJMDiMunno

Hey everyone,
Took another railroad-related trip with David H. from Florida (Mr. Moderator) once again today, and caught some more good luck (this guy brings more luck with him concerning railroad stuff than anyone I've ever met)...

We began the day by checking out the Grenloch area (again, it's a semi-annual pilgrimage)...the people we wanted to talk to down there weren't available at that time, so we changed our plans for the day a bit. We headed first out to Williamstown, where we found what I think is the remains of the passenger station at Williamstown for the Williamstown Branch:

http://members.aol.com/jjmdimunno/Willi ... tation.jpg

Can anyone confirm this suspicion of mine, that this was the station location? It's between Oak and Chestnut Streets I believe...anyone have a photo of this station when it was in service? I find the fact the the outhouse or whatever that little building is there in the corner is still standing very interesting...

After that, we decided to head down to the Vineland region and follow the CNJ north to that Hospitality Lake bridge that collapsed years back on the SRNJ...I was aware that MI-61 / MI-21 was still up at Woodbury Heights getting ready to come south, but we skipped that to go in search of some other stuff (good thing too)...

Upon our arrival just south of the bridge on the Southern Running Track, we noticed first of all that the hopper cars that had previously been stranded there were gone. I hadn't known this happened, it's possible it's slipped my mind by this time, but apparently they were moved around 3 weeks ago as we found out later. Here's a photo of the current condition of the span, before any work begins:

http://members.aol.com/jjmdimunno/Cedar ... dition.jpg

When we went to take a look at the bridge, we noticed a crane of some kind on the main about 1/2 mile south of our location. We took a stroll down there and what do ya know...there's a crew from WM Brode of Newcomerstown, Ohio (specializing in railroad bridge construction) loading new pilings for the bridge onto a small light flatcar. After having a little chat with some of the work crew on the scene, we were told that this was actually the first piece of real work to be done on the bridge, and this would actually be the first move with their equipment north to that location. We watched the load up, and then slowly leave the scene to head north to the bridge:

http://members.aol.com/jjmdimunno/Cedar ... ilings.jpg

And so this is how it is, the work to return the Cedar Lake bridge to service begins.

We were told that the expected time for completion of the bridge repairs is 3 months. Work is also supposed to begin on the railroad itself around now, which should be mostly finished by the time the bridge is done and ready to go. The new span itself will be a steel span, with a wooden deck. Should be much better than what was there before the collapse...

David and I are making yet another excursion on Saturday...see a following post from any of a number of sources for details...anyone that wants to come along should contact me at their earliest convenience...

Also on all of those photos, please ignore the fact that it says "Cedar Lake" on the captions, it's Hospitality Lake in reality. Thanks.

That's all for today folks, take care.

Mike DiMunno
www.SJRail.com: All about South Jersey Railroads!

#25421  by njt4172

Mike,

Great story! Sounds like you guys had fun! Where is that collapsed bridge exactly located?? What line is it on?

Hope to see you guys on Tuesday!!

Take Care,
Steve

#25451  by David

Steve--The bridge is on the old CNJ Southern Division along Route 322 in Collins Lakes. We will be checking on it again this time next week. We were told by then several of the pilings will have been placed.