Railroad Forums 

• Some (not too exciting) observations at Port Jersey

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#22865  by Sir Ray

So I had a little time today, and being in the area, I checked around Port Jersey and the Greenville yard environs. Hadn't been there in a while (a year?)
Well, for one, I noticed the large warehouse on the SE corner of Pulaski and rte 440 is now Wildex or something like that, not sure if they will continue to use the spur that heads directly south off the old CNJ mainline and up the slope (parellel to 440). That spur at one time used to curve in (East) between 2 buildings, and always had some cars on it.
The new Keystone Distribution buildings off Industrial drive look almost ready for occupancy (don't thing the East one was) - I mention this because the East building has a new siding alongside it, which also goes up a rather steep looking grade. I should have taken a picture, but I neglected too.
As usual, there are covered hoppers everywhere in Port Jersey (seemingly a majority are ACF centreflows), with one or two boxcars here and there.
Finally (for Port Jersey), there seems to be some activity on the long unused spur which goes from the Port Jersey Service facility ('Enginee Terminal - Yard - whatever you want to call it) south west into the container yard - new ties were laid, roadbed cleaned up. Not sure of their plans.
Heres a map link http://www.pjrr.com/maps.htm
The new construction is the yellow line heading southwest directly below the building marked "1" (below the yellow "y" marking the service facility).

I suppose also interesting (at least to me) is that the cement facility on the north side of "Thomas McGovern Dr" right south of Liberty State park is active and receiving covered hoppers (and apparently shipping out in boxcars, unless they are being used for storage). I just mention this as over a period of 8 years I often passed by, and the facility always seemed to be dormant to me.

#22931  by BigDell

Wow, thanks Sir Ray, I didn't even know there was a PJRR!
I usually just fly by that area when I'm driving and it always seems like an unused maze of tracks.... Nice to know there is "activity".
I need to take a "personal day" out of the office one of these summer days and go visit some of these spots on the NJ side just for fun...
I did that not too long ago in Bayonne (Bayonne? Fun? Sure!) and took some nice photos...

BigDell

#22940  by Sir Ray

BigDell, that area is very busy with rail activity, as just north of the PJRR is Greenville yards, with the Tropicana Distribution centre, a very large scrap yard, plus several other rail-served buildings (not to mention our old friends, the New York Cross Harbor).
Granted its probably only a shell of itself since the PRR/CNJ/LV days, but it's still a somewhat interesting area.

#22991  by 56-57

Here's a simple Q that I don't know the A to.

What's the heritage of CSAO right in that area, and for PJRR too?

Mike

#23026  by Lackawanna484

56-57 wrote:Here's a simple Q that I don't know the A to.

What's the heritage of CSAO right in that area, and for PJRR too?

Mike
-------------

The north south CSAO line is former LV. The HBLRT runs on the adjacent former CNJ right of way.

South of the Port Jersey is the East Jersey. The East Jersey Terminal line has always been independently operated, I believe, although LV and CNJ owned it. That line switches oil refineries on Constable Point. It's highly shootable (crosses many public streets) and exceptionally sensitive .

Paul

#23045  by Sir Ray

Lackawanna484 wrote: The north south CSAO line is former LV. The HBLRT runs on the adjacent former CNJ right of way.
I'm not too sure about that - I was always under the impression that the LV line to Constable Hook etc was to the East of the CNJ mainline (and pictures and maps from "Jersey City Westbound" back this up).
I believe the CNJ was (at least) a 4 track ROW at this point (it was the mainline after all), from the main terminal in (what is now Liberty State Park) South thru Bayonne to the bridge, and the LV had a two track line paralleling the CNJ mainline and to the East of it (at least to Constable Hook, although branching off south of the MOT), which eventually became part of the ROW for 440 (erstwhile 169).
Since the former CNJ mainline in Bayonne by the late 1990s had only one active freight track (I'm pretty sure of this) at the point in question, there was enough room available for the 2 track LRT.

This brings up a point, in regards to the 'redevelopment' of the Bayonne MOT (Now called the 'Peninsula at Bayonne'), there was some consideration for different rail links, perhaps a bridge to the LRT station across 440 (probably pedestrian). Seems a lot of the initial 'noise' regarding redevelopment of the Peninsula has since died down, as right now development seems to be geared toward the port uses that the peninsula is well suited for (I believe the cruise ship Nordic Empress is calling this port home now).

Heh, sometimes you wonder what the powers that be were thinking:
Military Ocean Terminal, Bayonne, NJ [MOTBY] is a unique strategic asset. No other port on the east or gulf coasts, commercial or military, can duplicate its combination of advantages in the support of power projection from the continental United States without the disruption of commercial port activities. This was amply demonstrated during the Gulf war and operations in Somalia and Haiti. Dozens of units shipped through MOTBY as well as outsized cargo such as M1A2 tanks from as far as Fort Hood, TX.
Oh well, guess somebody felt it wasn't so unique an asset after all.

#23127  by Sir Ray

After looking at your map (which is a very interesting map, BTW), it pretty much confirms exactly what I said.
The portion in question is from South of the PRR line to Greenville (the blue line right under "Constable Junction" on the map); two lines run south from there, the green one to the West being the CNJ mainline (now the CSAO freight to Bayonne, and the HBLRT), and the purple one marked National Docks the LV line to Constable Hook (and the former MOT) - this line I'm positive is now part of Rte 440 ROW. The CNJ lines and connections remain (well, more or less). I do believe a small amount of the LV as denoted on the map still exists in Constable Hook (marked as Branch #6), which goes (well, at least it used to a few years ago) up a slope via switchback to serve 2 industries East of the new Pathmark off 440. It might still be there.
For even more fun, it looks like the LV branch #1 on the West Side of Jersey City became part of the 440 ROW running on the West side (along with the former Morris Canal ROW).
It was probably inevitable, as almost all the heavy industry in that area (lots of Steel Distributors and Chemical firms, located about where the LV branch and CNJ West Side Connecting RR are on that map) seems to have become Big-box retailers and Furniture Outlets (and, of course, Home Depot) - I believe the chemical firm ("Dye Specialties") that used to spew out (harmless) purple dust closed just last year.