Railroad Forums 

• SNCF proposal for high speed rail in the US

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#718631  by Nasadowsk

Great! We can have French high speed trains (Alstom), powered by French nuclear plants (Areva), and our cross country needs can be handled by French jetliners (Airbus) with French engines (CFM).

Boy those French really are stupid, aren't they?

I'm wondering at what point in time this country's going to wake up and realize how much of our industrial capacity is gone, and how little we have left. Then again, I doubt anyone even cares anymore...
 #718707  by DutchRailnut

You expost what your best in
The french its TGV's and Airbus and wine.
The Germans its technology - cars and can do spirit
The US its diesel engines - weapons empty engineering plans and boatloads of garbage exported to landfills in other countries
 #722647  by v8interceptor

Nasadowsk wrote:Great! We can have French high speed trains (Alstom), powered by French nuclear plants (Areva), and our cross country needs can be handled by French jetliners (Airbus) with French engines (CFM).

Boy those French really are stupid, aren't they?

I'm wondering at what point in time this country's going to wake up and realize how much of our industrial capacity is gone, and how little we have left. Then again, I doubt anyone even cares anymore...
Those Areva reactors you mention are license built Westinghouse designs, Air France flies a fair number of Boeings(747s and 777s)..Airbus is a Paneuropean company and many Airbus customers use US built engines..
 #722950  by Nasadowsk

v8interceptor wrote: Those Areva reactors you mention are license built Westinghouse designs
Haven't been in decades. Sure they draw their basic design / heritage from Westinghouse - more or less every PWR in the Western world does, but the actual plant's an evolution from the N-4 plants. Framatome hasn't given Westinghouse a license feed in decades, Westinghouse isn't involved with the engineering. Yes it looks like a sexed up 4-loop because that's basically what it is, but the details are much different - AFAIK, no 4 loop built by Westinghouse has a double containment, core catcher, 4 safety systems, etc etc etc. And the AP-1000 is nowhere near the same - it's kinda a CE-Westinghouse hybrid (Toshiba owns them both)
Air France flies a fair number of Boeings(747s and 777s)..Airbus is a Paneuropean company and many Airbus customers use US built engines..
Airbus is based out of the France, and the rest of Europe doesn't share their enthusiasm, though they are 'technically pan-european. And as far as those 'US built engines', Pratt is a nothing in the world (the mighty HAVE fallen!), and GE's hotshot engine is....a half-French design.

And plenty US airlines fly Airbus, as a matter of fact, many airline fly both.