Railroad Forums 

• SIRT Alcos Forsale

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#509328  by RS-3

I can't tell by the photos, do they have roller bearings?

RS

#509379  by Nova55

Thats what sucks..there land locked and as far as I know they both still have plain bearings.

#509489  by Spartan Phalanx

#407 was an LIRR S-1........Why does SIRT/MTA want to get rid of these?

#509508  by Nova55

There getting 4 new switchers from Brookville.

#509577  by Alcoman

The railroad rebuilt 407 several years ago. They should be in excellent shape.

#509641  by Kuyahoora Valley

there land locked
where are they located geographically?...why would they be land-locked?

#509656  by Alcoman

I don't think they are land locked, but with FB trucks, they would have to be trucked out anyway.

#509696  by RS-3

I wonder if there's some point they could be transported to they can reach from where they are? I mean, can't a railroad, if they wish to, still handle friction trucks? (not for "revenue service") but maybe a one time move with a waver? I know the Class I's won't touch it, but maybe the other smaller roads? Who does SIRT connect with? Maybe get it at least part way, or somewhere it can be stored safely or have its trucks swapped out if needed.

RS

#511870  by railroadcarmover

The one unit that is of former Army heritage used to work at Raritan Arsenal in Edison NJ.

#513633  by rocketman

Alcoman wrote:I don't think they are land locked, but with FB trucks, they would have to be trucked out anyway.
How hard would it be to modify the journal boxes to accept roller dummies just to get it over the road - whats involved to modify them?

#514455  by midwest fred

By the time you procure roller equipped axles of the correct size and try to do the work in the field on SI you are talking many many thousands. That assumes you would be allowed to do such work on SIRT property. Crane insurance costs on LIRR property was another huge expense, sure to be duplicated in SI. The axle modifications and addition of roller bearings require a wheel shop capability.

Cost to roller conver RS1 trucks with the existing axles and modifying the existing friction boxes - $30K not including the costs to lift the loco and truck the combos out and back.

The locos are not worth that much. It is a pipe dream to think you could convert them in the field in the timeline available, you would at least need trucks to swap that already are roller.

Fred.

#515706  by railtie

it says #821 is a 1000 HP. would that mean its an S2 or S4?

#515771  by Nova55

Its an S2.