Railroad Forums 

• Single locomotive leading 100+ car trains?

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#106618  by emd_SD_60

emd_SD_60 wrote:This evening, I happened to get caught by a train. Only this wasn't a regular train. This particular train had a single 4000 H.P SD70 (quite an oddity for IC) leading a northbound grain drag. As the first ten-fifteen cars passed, I looked down south and saw nothing but a long ribbon of grain hoppers (this was at North Carbondale) that must have stretched well past the two coal towers! This train had to at least be two miles long.

I guess with today's high-horsepower locomotives, running regular-length freight trains with a single locomotive is becoming more common...
Again saw the same thing about 45 minutes ago. A single 4400 horsepower BNSF Dash 9 (whoa!) leading nothing but grain cars. Must be the same train a few weeks back, but with a leased BNSF loco. :-D

As JG said, probably nothing but empties. :wink: On the head end were nothing but potash hoppers, then standard grain hoppers.
 #106619  by jg greenwood

emd_SD_60 wrote:
emd_SD_60 wrote:This evening, I happened to get caught by a train. Only this wasn't a regular train. This particular train had a single 4000 H.P SD70 (quite an oddity for IC) leading a northbound grain drag. As the first ten-fifteen cars passed, I looked down south and saw nothing but a long ribbon of grain hoppers (this was at North Carbondale) that must have stretched well past the two coal towers! This train had to at least be two miles long.

I guess with today's high-horsepower locomotives, running regular-length freight trains with a single locomotive is becoming more common...
Again saw the same thing about 45 minutes ago. A single BNSF Dash 9 (whoa!) leading nothing but grain cars. Must be the same train a few weeks back, but with a leased BNSF loco. :-D
Within the next few days BNSF detour coal-trains are due to begin operating over the IC. Loads will run, via the BNSF, from Centralia to Metropolis Jct. BNSF crews will run over the IC from Metropolis Jct. to Memphis. The empties will run up the Centralia-sub. BNSF crews will man the empties from Cairo, IL. to Centralia, IL. IIRC, these are trains destined for, and returning from a power plant in Georgia. Maintenance work on the Thayer-sub is the likely reason for these detours.

#106622  by emd_SD_60

Where's the Thayer Sub?

#106628  by jg greenwood

emd_SD_60 wrote:Where's the Thayer Sub?
Runs south from Springfield, MO. to Turrell, AR. where the River-sub and Thayer-sub converge.
 #107198  by emd_SD_60

jg greenwood wrote:
emd_SD_60 wrote:

Again saw the same thing about 45 minutes ago. A single BNSF Dash 9 (whoa!) leading nothing but grain cars. Must be the same train a few weeks back, but with a leased BNSF loco. :-D
Within the next few days BNSF detour coal-trains are due to begin operating over the IC. Loads will run, via the BNSF, from Centralia to Metropolis Jct. BNSF crews will run over the IC from Metropolis Jct. to Memphis. The empties will run up the Centralia-sub. BNSF crews will man the empties from Cairo, IL. to Centralia, IL. IIRC, these are trains destined for, and returning from a power plant in Georgia. Maintenance work on the Thayer-sub is the likely reason for these detours.
Are these coal empties going to be heading by my place in the 5:30-6:00 time frame by any chance? About 5 minutes ago (5:45) I saw the first one, with about 5 locomotives (I saw two SD70MAC's in Executive Paint) on the point. I would like to photograph one of these trains this week... that's if they are on a schedule. If not, i'm probably out of luck... :(
 #107237  by jg greenwood

emd_SD_60 wrote:
jg greenwood wrote:
emd_SD_60 wrote:

Are these coal empties going to be heading by my place in the 5:30-6:00 time frame by any chance? About 5 minutes ago (5:45) I saw the first one, with about 5 locomotives (I saw two SD70MAC's in Executive Paint) on the point. I would like to photograph one of these trains this week... that's if they are on a schedule. If not, i'm probably out of luck... :(
Sorry EMD, no idea as to the time frame these will be operating in. I had heard they would have 5-units. Three on the head-end and 2 in the d.p. mode. I'll check with my Centralia BN ex co-workers as to any type of schedule.

#107257  by emd_SD_60

Nope, it was all 5 on the front (i'm assuming it was the lead locomotives on the trip to Georgia coupled on front of the DPU's...the crew probably wasn't in the mood to set the DPU's up.).

#107260  by jg greenwood

emd_SD_60 wrote:Nope, it was all 5 on the front (i'm assuming it was the lead locomotives on the trip to Georgia coupled on front of the DPU's...the crew probably wasn't in the mood to set the DPU's up.).
Just spoke with the BN yardmaster at Centralia. Schedule calls for three loads south and three mtys north per day. No set time on their movements. Next mty north should arrive Cairo approxmiately 0400-0500 tomorrow. Your guess as to when he'll blow thru Carbondale. Sorry I can't provide more accurate times.

#107321  by emd_SD_60

jg greenwood wrote:
emd_SD_60 wrote:Nope, it was all 5 on the front (i'm assuming it was the lead locomotives on the trip to Georgia coupled on front of the DPU's...the crew probably wasn't in the mood to set the DPU's up.).
Just spoke with the BN yardmaster at Centralia. Schedule calls for three loads south and three mtys north per day. No set time on their movements. Next mty north should arrive Cairo approxmiately 0400-0500 tomorrow. Your guess as to when he'll blow thru Carbondale. Sorry I can't provide more accurate times.
One last thing before I sign off for the night... is this going to be for a week? A couple of weeks?

Anyway tomorrow I might just show up at my regular railfanning spot down the road and wait around 1700...

Also I must really thank you for your help. It's actually quite nice to actually have someone who works in the railroad industry for a living among this large group of "railfans" including myself, who don't have any railroad-related jobs. :wink:

#107406  by jg greenwood

emd_SD_60 wrote:
jg greenwood wrote:
One last thing before I sign off for the night... is this going to be for a week? A couple of weeks?

Anyway tomorrow I might just show up at my regular railfanning spot down the road and wait around 1700...

Also I must really thank you for your help. It's actually quite nice to actually have someone who works in the railroad industry for a living among this large group of "railfans" including myself, who don't have any railroad-related jobs. :wink:
Not sure the duration of the detours; Will check with my ex co-workers at the BNSF Centralia a.s.a.p
You're more than welcome for the limited amount of info.

#107437  by emd_SD_60

I saw the first northbound earlier today at 0647 (meaning it probably left Cairo at about 0500). From my assumations the next one should probably be around noon or after, and finally the evening drag. Don't take my actual word for it, this is just my honest guess. :wink:

I could be wrong, the "afternoon" drag was the one I saw at 1745 and the third and final "evening" drag was probably after midnight, when I am fast asleep...again, I'm just guessing there too. :wink:

UPDATE: Left home about 1715, waited there for about an hour, nothing showed up. Mty showed up later at 2120 (4 hours late). I might have better luck tomorrow, i am keeping my fingers crossed here. :wink:

#108009  by emd_SD_60

Well, I finally caught the northbound! I left home at about 1735, headed to my spot at North Carbondale, set my tripod up, waited about 20 minutes, saw lights of an approaching train, and waited. Finally, at straight-up 1800, the big moment. I was expecting it to be just another regular variety CN/IC freight, judging from the K3L on the lead locomotive...instead it was the horn of BN 9716 (why do they use Canadian horns?) leading "Pumpkins" 5660 and 9918, and "executives" 9649 and 9786. I also might add the 9716 was the only unpatched "executive" unit. :-D I guess this is the conclusion of my daily ranting, as I finally got a BNSF freight! :wink:

Let's see... NS, CSX, CN, IC, UP, SP, and now BNSF... I have shot everything!

JG, as I said before, thanks a lot. :wink:
Last edited by emd_SD_60 on Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#108010  by jg greenwood

emd_SD_60 wrote:Well, I finally caught the northbound! I left home at about 1735, headed to my spot at North Carbondale, set my tripod up, waited about 20 minutes, saw lights of an approaching train, and waited. Finally, at straight-up 1800, the big moment. I was expecting it to be just another regular variety CN/IC freight, judging from the K3L on the lead locomotive...instead it was the horn of BN 9716 (why do they use Canadian horns?) leading "Pumpkins" 5660 and 9918, and "executives" 9649 and 9786. I also might add the 9716 was the only unpatched "executive" unit. :-D I guess this is the conclusion of my ranting, as I finally got a BNSF freight! :wink:
Great!!!!!!!!

#108068  by SRS125

CN and CP Air horns have that low flat pitch to them becouse they have a problum with Moose chargeing the trains during the mateing season. I rember hereing about this from a few old timers up there who rember the
geting a diesel locomotive on there run from North Bay Ontario to Toronto in the 1940's They used to have a moose that hung around the CN's Algonquin Park Route that used to charge the train and run along side for miles. The CN's Algonquin route was pulled up in the late 1990's. To make a long story short BN may have had this problum in the pacific northwest and changed its tune on there air horns? But then and again every railroad has its own sound that makes them who they are.

#108307  by AmtrakFan

emd_SD_60 wrote:Let me guess. Chicago Central?

What became of them? It seems like the CC dropped right off the radar right after their CNIC buyout. Also where did their GP10's and GP38's go to? Hopefully not to the scrapper.
No BNSF