Railroad Forums 

• Simulation:Hundreds Killed When High-Speed Collides with Cow

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#945956  by Passenger

It's a story from an anti-HSR partisan quoting a sensationalistic news source. That is understood.

But what about issues like this? It's more than just the usual NIMBYism and it's going to come up again.

http://www.nationalreview.com/planet-go ... eg-pollowi
Last edited by gprimr1 on Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Changed topic to reflect it didn't actually happen.
 #945962  by george matthews

They are not quoting a news source. The story is fiction - "future news report". They are not even pointing out real encounters with animals, as in Scotland and Germany.

The opponents of high speed rail routes, as in Britain opposing the HS2 line, fight dirty and unscrupulously.
 #947325  by jstolberg

BostonUrbEx wrote:This half baked story assumes the HSR will be half baked and missing any fences or walls... what a joke.
Nevertheless, the engineers designing high speed rail have little experience with dairy operations. The plans I saw for the route in Wisconsin had fences that were better at stopping inebriated snowmobilers from jumping the embankments than they would at stopping dairy cattle. Fences through cattle country need to be barbed and electrified. Anything less won't work.
 #947437  by David Benton

jstolberg wrote:
BostonUrbEx wrote:This half baked story assumes the HSR will be half baked and missing any fences or walls... what a joke.
Nevertheless, the engineers designing high speed rail have little experience with dairy operations. The plans I saw for the route in Wisconsin had fences that were better at stopping inebriated snowmobilers from jumping the embankments than they would at stopping dairy cattle. Fences through cattle country need to be barbed and electrified. Anything less won't work.
presumably it would be classed as a boundary fence and would be 7 wire , or whatever your standard for boundary fences is .

I spend most of my weekends trying to contain my goats , and neighbouring cattle , so i agree , a substantial fence is required .
 #947581  by Passenger

My point isn't the sensationalistic "news of the future" malarky, it's the idea that economic value is being destroyed by building it in the first place. The issue worth discussing is whether the public value added by the project is sufficient.

BTW, I will be very surprised if anything like this will be built in the USA under current conditions.
 #947702  by george matthews

Passenger wrote:My point isn't the sensationalistic "news of the future" malarky, it's the idea that economic value is being destroyed by building it in the first place. The issue worth discussing is whether the public value added by the project is sufficient.

BTW, I will be very surprised if anything like this will be built in the USA under current conditions.
I am not competent to discuss the economic theory behind that idea, but I believe it derives from Milton Friedman and ought to have been discredited by now.
 #947711  by amtrakowitz

djlong wrote:Amazing how conservatives turn into environmentalists when there's something going on that they don't want.
I wouldn't call any libertarian a "conservative". And unless I'm mistaken (and by now, I'm sure I'm not), it's the USA's liberals that are the real champions of "fly/drive".
 #948375  by num1hendrickfan

Ironically an incident almost similar to the possible incident in question took place in Germany in the year 2008. It involved a German ICE train that hit a herd of 20 sheep in a tunnel. The impact only derailed the first four of 12 carriages and only 3 people suffered injuries that required a trip to the hospital.

Here's a video of the aftermath http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhplyPl14HA
 #948491  by george matthews

num1hendrickfan wrote:Ironically an incident almost similar to the possible incident in question took place in Germany in the year 2008. It involved a German ICE train that hit a herd of 20 sheep in a tunnel. The impact only derailed the first four of 12 carriages and only 3 people suffered injuries that required a trip to the hospital.

Here's a video of the aftermath http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhplyPl14HA
One should also note that when a TGV on the LGV Nord came off the rails after the track sagged over an undetected first world war trench, no-one was killed. The design of the train prevented the train breaking up.