Railroad Forums 

• Silverliner IVs getting old

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1272948  by 4400Washboard

The cloth and plush seats didn't last that long on the R15s and R17s anyway back in the 1950s. I have only seen these in person and watched them rumble past (Complete with the annoying announcements). They don't seem that appealing.

Post #365-if i had 1 post per day, it'd take me a year to get to here!
 #1272966  by SubwayTim

tjensen wrote:The cloth and plush seats didn't last that long on the R15s and R17s anyway back in the 1950s. I have only seen these in person and watched them rumble past (Complete with the annoying announcements). They don't seem that appealing.

Post #365-if i had 1 post per day, it'd take me a year to get to here!
If I remember correctly, I've read somewhere that the Silverliner II's (not sure about the III's) had plush seats from when they were new, up until sometime in the 1970's, when the seats were replaced with the vinyl "ketchup and mustard" colored seats most of us were more familiar with. I wish there were pics of the original plush Silverliner II seats, because my first ever train ride was on a Silverliner II with my mom when I was around 4-years-old and very likely we sat in one of those seats!
 #1272981  by 25Hz

Those seats?

Excitement on the platform when a silverliner 5 pulls in? You must be stuck in the city my friend. No one who rides from/to the outer 2 zones likes them.
 #1272995  by NorthPennLimited

Has anyone noticed the HVAC on the SL-V's has bad air conditioning? One minute it's blowing ice cold air, then warm humid air, then the process repeats itself every 2 or 3 station stops.

For 2 million bucks, can't we get air conditioning that works and stays ON for the entire trip?
 #1273003  by Ken S.

25Hz wrote:Image

Those seats?

Excitement on the platform when a silverliner 5 pulls in? You must be stuck in the city my friend. No one who rides from/to the outer 2 zones likes them.
Those are the Silverliner III Airport seats.
 #1273028  by 4400Washboard

Im only excited to get silver liner IVs because they are older
 #1273473  by SCB2525

^This

The announcements are annoying as all get out and the seats are horrid. Also as stupid as it may sound, the baseboard heaters are rounded off instead of square so there's nowhere to lay my foot in the window seat.
 #1276058  by octr202

NorthPennLimited wrote:Has anyone noticed the HVAC on the SL-V's has bad air conditioning? One minute it's blowing ice cold air, then warm humid air, then the process repeats itself every 2 or 3 station stops.

For 2 million bucks, can't we get air conditioning that works and stays ON for the entire trip?
Must be a Rotem (or supplier) problem. I've noticed the same thing on the MBTA Rotems as well - they have a hard time maintaining a constant temperature on warm, humid days. The HVAC seems to produce cold air for while, then goes warm, and repeats. I've actually taken to avoiding the upper decks on warm afternoons.
 #1276072  by Limited-Clear

I don't know how MBTA cars are laid out but for the Septa SLVs one reason you have HVAC problems is simple, the door to the outside opens into the car!!!!! Do you leave a window in your house or car open then complain the AC isn't cooling it down?

Septa stops so frequently and the doors are opened at every station (unlike Europe where the conductor releases the doors and the passenger pushes a button to open it if they want on or off, maybe here we can't figure out things like that), wight he frequent stop you let cold air out and warm air in every couple of minutes or less.

Queue the next person to say it happens on the express trains too (or someone to point out a car warm at one end cold at the other, reason for that, see above)

How to solve it, with the way hear cars are built there really isn't a way, unless they can change airflow directions and keep the HVAC motor from overworking itself and failing
 #1276135  by ExCon90

That would seem to indicate that the AC wasn't properly designed to suit the circumstances. When PATH acquired its first 50 cars around 1960 they stood at the platform in Newark with their doors open until departure time, and even on the hottest days the cars were nice and cool when you stepped aboard. It's all in taking into consideration what the actual operating conditions will be.
 #1276140  by R36 Combine Coach

ExCon90 wrote:That would seem to indicate that the AC wasn't properly designed to suit the circumstances. When PATH acquired its first 50 cars around 1960 they stood at the platform in Newark with their doors open until departure time, and even on the hottest days the cars were nice and cool when you stepped aboard. It's all in taking into consideration what the actual operating conditions will be.
The 50 cars were the K-cars, purchased jointly by PRR & H&M in 1958 before the PANYNJ takeover.
 #1276365  by ExCon90

The things time does to your memory ... I forgot that was still PRR and H&M (and the conductor lifted your ticket between Newark and JSQ). I think the H&M owned 30 and the PRR 20 -- did all the cars have keystones?
 #1276397  by R36 Combine Coach

ExCon90 wrote:The things time does to your memory ... I forgot that was still PRR and H&M (and the conductor lifted your ticket between Newark and JSQ). I think the H&M owned 30 and the PRR 20 -- did all the cars have keystones?
First 30 (1200-1229) PRR, remaining 20 (1230-1249) H&M. Joint PRR/H&M service lasted until 1967 (into the PANYNJ era).
 #1276401  by AlexC

Did the H&M run, ahem, Silverliner IV's?