Railroad Forums 

• Silver Springs in June 1974

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#1244257  by CPSmith

On the New York State forum, SST posted a few recent photos of the NS at Silver Springs. I replied with one photo from 1974. Here are the rest from that day. Upon arrival, I snapped a quick shot of EL 1201, the local switcher assigned to the area, tied up and idling in the sun.
Last edited by CPSmith on Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1244260  by CPSmith

...but my attention was quickly drawn to the west end of town, with one freight in the hole and a high green beckoning another:
Last edited by CPSmith on Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1244263  by CPSmith

One of the crew was on the ground ready to do a rolling inspection, so I assumed the meet wasn't that far off. I walked down to inquire.
 #1244266  by CPSmith

After a brief conversation with the crewman, I crossed over and caught the westbound with another C425 on the point and a straight SD45 behind it. They're moving at a good clip.
Last edited by CPSmith on Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1244271  by CPSmith

Once the westbound cleared, it didn't take long for the stopped freight to get their signal, nor did it take them long to react. Here they are blasting out of the hole with the Alco doing what an Alco does best:
 #1244274  by CPSmith

Armed with the information of another westbound on the way, I moved to the Fuller Rd. crossing. As you can see, I ran out of color slide film and was forced to switch to the only roll left in the bag. On the point is a single SDP45 - must have been a light train.
 #1244276  by CPSmith

Last shot of the day. Nobody waits for the ends of trains anymore (who'd want a photo of a FRED?), but in 1974 you shot at least twice for each freight - one for the head end and one for the rear.