Railroad Forums 

• Signalling/Dispatching Question (Richmond/Rocky Mount)

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#294456  by 2nd trick op

I'm a devotee of the Train Dispatcher simulation models developed by Signal Computer Consulants. One of the offerings covers the CSX main between Washington and Rocky Mount, and was developed by the knowledgable author Fred W. Frailey.

On the simulation, portions of both single and double track are interspersed south of Petersburg, but only one of the two tracks is shown as capable of 79 MPH maximum speed.

My questions are: (1) does this model represent the actual speed restrictions of the present day (The former ACL was a passenger-oriented railroad, and I would have expected 79 MPH to be allowed on both tracks during earlier years)?

And (2) does CSX make an effort to allow Silver Service passenger moves priority on the 79 MPH signalled trackage when practicable?

#295935  by 262

I have located some time tables from 2002,do you know what subdivisions they are? If it is the following RF&D Sub-MAS 60 mph.Richmond Terminal Sub- MAS 40 and 50 mph,North End Sub-MAS 70 mph.The RF&D and Richmond Terminal all appear to be true double track,but after the single track Appomattox River bridge on the North End Sub they appear to be single main with passing sidings.