• Short MBCR Commuter Rail Train

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by MACTRAXX

Guys: Is there a nickname for the MBTA bilevel cars? I'll coin one myself: FLOAT(S) I find it interesting that only the South side service gets the bilevels. Is there still clearance problems on the North side lines? Anything specific? I recall the one about the Wellington Tunnel-the F40 horns originally would not clear - Is this still true? MACTRAXX

by Porter Sq

The 8:25 out of Lowell this morning was short 4 cars usually 5. A side note after we left Anderson we were going really slow but begain to pick up speed around Mishuwam. I had my head turned and I look back and we are racing the Downeaster on the opposite track.It took a Min for the Downeaster to pass us then we had to stop before Winchester for the signal to clear because the Downeaster had used the crossover there.No problems to report other than being 3 mins late.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Porter Sq wrote:The 8:25 out of Lowell this morning was short 4 cars usually 5.
so it was a one car train, i think you meant it was 4 cars instead of 5?

by Porter Sq

Sorry you are right we had 4 instead of 5 cars.

by Stephen

MACTRAXX
I find it interesting that only the South side service gets the bilevels. Is there still clearance problems on the North side lines?
No. The bi-levels are kept on the south side due to ridership levels.
The clearances on the North side lines were fixed prior to the North Station rebuild. They had shortened platforms during this construction, so they used bi-levels to maintain total seat capacity. Since that project was completed, they have been used almost exclusicely on the south side.

- Stephen

by CRail

Clearance was never an issue for the kawasaki's as they are the same as the engines.

never heared about the horn thing though, thats pretty funny. the "k-cars" being on the south, like stephen said, is strictly due to ridership being greater on the south side. Frankly, if i get on the north side, than the south side can keep all of them as far as im concerned. Walking through a flat set is much nicer than going up and down stairs the whole way through.