• Short MBCR Commuter Rail Train

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by ST214

500's and 1500's all have restrooms. As do the 900's.

by SnoozerZ49

FYI octr, On the South Side single level cars are routinely referrred to as a "flat". You might hear someone say " we had a five car set of flats".

by CSX Conductor

ST214 wrote:Hey John!!! WB!!

BTW, when and where were these trains without 500/1500 cars??? Are there any still out there??? I would love to get a picture of one, just to see what it looks like with just bombers.
I saw a set of solid 200/300/600's last week on the north side. :wink:

by octr202

SnoozerZ49 wrote:FYI octr, On the South Side single level cars are routinely referrred to as a "flat". You might hear someone say " we had a five car set of flats".
Ahh -- I figured that as soon as I posted it. I don't get onto commuter rail very often, as my home location would give away.

Oh well, the board needs a bit of humor now and then. :wink:

by SnoozerZ49

Roger that, on the humor! :wink:

by Porter Sq

The 310 out of Lowell today was one car short.GP40MC #1135 pushed us in to Boston. I sat in the last car MBB #529?(I have math class it's hard to remember the numbers by the end of the day) and it was only filled half way up once we left West Medford and on time into Boston.

by Silverliner II

Bathroom question...

Don't the 1600-series Bombardier control cars have restrooms?

If they don't, those would be the first BBD control cars I've heard of with no restrooms...I was under the impression that was a standard installation for their cab cars.

by sery2831

None of the Bombardier or the Pullmans/Amerail cars have bathrooms... The T never purchased that option for some reason.

by Silverliner II

Thanks....interesting!

by Diverging Route

This morning's 831/832 (the "Mansfield turn" train) was a five-car set of flats, with 1530 on the inbound side. Usually it's six or seven flats.

by ST214

There was a 4 car set in Fitchburg Saturday. I think 1003 was the power, not sure. THere were 2 F40PH's in Fitchburg yard at 10AM Saturday!!!!
  by CRail

Not short, but funny sets this morning on the south side. My train (P503) this morning was a 6 car set with 2 geeps on the head. Pulling out from south station another train passed inbound with rebuild 1050 facing inbound on the head (inbound) end with rebuild 1060 on the other end facing regularly (outbound). Any explanations on this???

by CSX Conductor

Possibly another control car shortage like we had discussed a few months back?

by Silverliner II

CSX Conductor wrote:Possibly another control car shortage like we had discussed a few months back?
Of course if they'd just kept all the 1600's activated as cab cars, and modified the brake valves to take care of the supression issue on the NEC (and added ACSES).....that would be a moot issue.....

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

but thats a lot of money :(