Railroad Forums 

• Shellpot Bridge

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #46509  by kevikens

Norfolk Southern's Shellpot Bridge over the Chritiana in Wilmington, Del. is set to reopen next week, according to NS trackworkers I spoke with today. The bridge, built by the PRR was used to bypass what is presently Wilmington's Amtrak station. Conrail closed the bridge in 1995 but NS has realized that the long circuitous route presenlty in use is inefficient.

#59984  by glennk419

Has this bridge actually reopened? It looked like it was still being worked on a couple weeks ago when I went by. The bridge itself was in the open position with the hi-rail truck on the span, and work seemed to be continuing on the approaches. Either way, it sure is nice to see something that significant being rebuilt.

#60533  by kevikens

On Monday the bridge was in the closed position with a few workers out on the span.

#79906  by Pacobell73

I've seen a few freights trundle over the bridge around 9pm. It was asight to behold.