• Shared Assets Lehigh Line

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by CR80MAC

Went out on Friday and here's what I got...

CP Potter - North Edison, NJ

1. NS 18N - 08:40 - OLS 9256-HH 9859
2. NS 21M - 08:47 - HH 5355-HH 9843-NS 9609

New Market, NJ

3. NS 214 - 09:15 - NS 7142-NS 7136-NS 7111-CN 5298 (SD40-2W)
4. NS 212 - 09:34 - BNSF 5197-BNSF 4399

CP Port Reading Jct - Manville, NJ

CSXT 4415-CSXT 2772-HH 3055 drilling Manville Yard

5. CSXT Q410 - 11:08 - DF 8749-CSXT 8880
6. NS 24V - 11:20 - HH 9774-Prim 9954 (Recrewed at Aldene)
7. NS 11J - 11:24 - NS 9507-NS 8564
8. NS 35G - 12:20 - NS 8594-PRR 5404

Kinda slow if you ask me, but you have to have some bad days. I guess 20K/24Z have been running earlier becuase I haven't seen them in awhile.

Mike
http://cr80mac.rrpicturearchives.net

by OCtrainguy

I figured it was time to dust this one off....

Went out this morning with a friend of mine, as we were hoping for some snow shots (before it got too bad) but alas still had a good morning. I headed to the Shared Assets Lehigh Line in Bridgewater. I was hoping to see some snow falling while the trains passed us by, but that did not happen. I did the same thing last January with good results.

http://octrainguy.rrpicturearchives.net ... x?id=90061
http://octrainguy.rrpicturearchives.net ... x?id=90062
http://octrainguy.rrpicturearchives.net ... ?id=169156
http://octrainguy.rrpicturearchives.net ... ?id=169152

I saw 12 trains in about a 5 hour period today. Here's my recap.

1. 7:50 NS 24V 2 D9-40CWs
2. 7:52 CR MA1 CSX 2793 & NS 5622 (ran lite to South Plainfield)
3. 8:35 NS 21M SD70M, a GTCX? (ex-EMD), BNSF green/black SD40-2 & 8-40CW
4. 8:41 CSX Q300 HLCX 8131 & CSX 8830
5. 9:55 CSX Q438 2 AC44CWs
6. 10:05 CSX X0911 (westbound engine move) CSX 5212 & HLCX 6226
7. 10:10 NS 214 BNSF 4731
8. 10:40 NS 18G Primer D9-40CW, GEVO 7541, 2104
9. 10:50 NS 11J D9-40CW & BNSF D9-44CW
10. 11:00 NS 213 2 BNSF D9-44CWs & 2 GP60s
11. 11:25 CSX Q418 SD70AC 4766 & a sister SD70AC
12. 12:45 NS 35G 8400 & SD60

Overall it was a good trip. The sun even made an appearance as did some blue skies. The snow didn't start falling until our way home. No sign of NS train 212, so either it ran early or it was running late. Does anyone know?
Last edited by OCtrainguy on Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by CNJFAN

Great shots!!
I wanted to get out there yesterday myself but I took Ill.

by Eric Kreszl

On saturday I got to go up to the Hillside firehouse with my father and saw a lot of freight trains. Intrestinglly I saw a lot of BNSF units. All the BNSF units were on Norfolk Southern Trains. CSX is still seems to be relying on lease units. I don't know why? I was able to get pictures but they are still in the camera. One train even had a Ex Conrail locomotive leading a freight train. One BNSF train had a single engine leading the train.

by nick11a

Eric Kreszl wrote:On saturday I got to go up to the Hillside firehouse with my father and saw a lot of freight trains. Intrestinglly I saw a lot of BNSF units. All the BNSF units were on Norfolk Southern Trains. CSX is still seems to be relying on lease units. I don't know why? I was able to get pictures but they are still in the camera. One train even had a Ex Conrail locomotive leading a freight train. One BNSF train had a single engine leading the train.
Yup, I saw about half of the aforementioned trains. I would have seen the other half if I didn't wake up so late. :-D

by OCtrainguy

With the Lehigh Line, the early bird catches the worm... :-D

I did miss the NS eastbound autorack train, that's an early one and don't know what happened to NS 212 that day.

by kilroy

From the 03/23 Star Ledger. If the politicos would take a quick tour of the NEC, they'll see that fences don't work.

Manville wants to erect fencing along rail lines

Thursday, March 23, 2006
BY CATHY BUGMAN
Star-Ledger Staff

Manville officials are seeking to install fencing along the busy rail lines as a safety precaution, in light of two fatal incidents last year involving pedestrians crossing the tracks.

"It'd be a major deterrent," Mayor Angelo Corradino said.

The borough council passed a resolution Aug. 8 stating that fencing should be installed on both sides of the two railroad lines through Manville, and sent it to the two operators of those lines, Nor folk Southern Corp. of Washington, D.C., and CSX Transportation of Jacksonville, Fla.

But no further action has been taken since then.

"The ball's in their court," the mayor said of the rail companies.

Norfolk Southern spokesman Rudy Husband said his firm would be willing to review any proposal put before it for safety improvements.

"We would be more than happy to cooperate to address their concerns," he said of Manville officials. "If they believe fencing is the answer, we would work with them to erect fencing. If they want to consider a pedestrian overpass, we'd look at that, too."

Since the firm has not yet received a proposal, it has not moved forward on the matter, Husband said.

One concern about fencing is that it needs to be kept intact, with no holes or missing sections, he said. Whoever puts up the fencing is responsible for maintaining it, Husband added.

CSX spokesman Gary Sease said his company also is open to the idea.
"It's important to know where the fencing would be desired, that way we can help Manville enhance public safety," Sease said.

The latest fatality occurred Nov. 11 involving 17-year-old Manville High School senior Keith Miranda at Kyle Street and Railroad Place in the Lost Valley section of the borough. On July 17, Leonard Barber, 48, of Manville was struck and killed near the Main Street overpass.

According to the Federal Rail road Administration, 485 pedes trian rail trespass fatalities oc curred last year, including 16 in New Jersey. Since 1994, almost 5,100 people have been killed while trespassing on railroad rights-of- way, FRA statistics show.

Not everyone is certain that fencing would be the most reliable protection device.

"Kids will climb over it and cut it -- fences don't stop anybody," Councilman Kenneth Otrimski said. "If they want to get through it, they will."

Nonetheless, he noted that from a safety standpoint, having a fence would be better than nothing at all.

Borough officials said the safe and legal place to cross tracks is at designated pedestrian or roadway crossings, like at 13th Avenue near the high school.

Some officials said the best deterrent is educating the public about the hazards of rail crossing through programs such as Operation Lifesaver, which recruits volunteers to provide free safety presentations on how to increase pub lic safety around railroad tracks.

Manville High School principal Mary McLoughlin said her school would welcome any kind of rail safety awareness program.

Michael Lapotasky, a Manville High English teacher who volunteers as a borough firefighter and also serves as a member of the Somerset County Emergency Hazardous Materials team, is trying to bring Operation Lifesaver or a similar public education program to students.

"It's an important subject," he said. "Teachers, parents and the community at large, we should all take responsibility to make sure people do not cross where they should not be."

by OCtrainguy

I had just read the article on the web a few moments ago and was going to post it.

In Toms River, along Route 37, fences were put up to deter people who were crossing the six lane highway away from the traffic light controlled intersections. Within days, holes were cut into the fence and sections were pushed down. The accidents still occurred and it took months to repair the fence, just to have the fences broken again.

Manville is a popular spot for photographers along the NS Lehigh Line. Railpace has published a lot of photos with the Manville water towers in the background. If they put the fences up, I'd imagine that those photograph locations would not be as attractive to either Railpace or photographers.

I had the Operation Lifesaver program come to my school (elementary and middle) several times. It's a great idea. However, none of the recommendations are completely foolproof. If someone want to cross the tracks and/or use them as a shortcut, no OLS program or fence will stop them.

by Jtgshu

The fences installed by NJT on the Coast Line in the area of Wood interlocking are holding up great. I don't think there are any holes in it, and its intact for its entire length. It doesn't look to be your "standard" fence, but rather a heavy wire or steel mesh wiht very small holes, which can't be climbed or cut (easily at least).

There used to be a lot of trespassers in that area, but ive havent' seen anyone around there pretty much since the fences went up.

Of course, im sure they are much more expensive than traditional "hurricane" fencing, but these fences have been up for over about 2 years now, and in that same amount of time, the standard fence would have been made into swiss cheese.

by Sirsonic

I have been seeing that "high security" fencing more and more along railroad rights of way. I know the LIRR uses it in some places, and Amtrak recently installed it around the west portal of the North River Tunnels. Supposedly it takes 4 times longer to cut through than regular chain link fencing, and the smaller holes discourage cutting it in the first place. The small holes also prevent climbing as you cant get a hand or foot hold as with regular fencing. It is also reportedly a better deterrent than a regular fence with barbed wire or razor wire along the top.

by General

I went out to South Plainfield for a little while this morning. I got to Front St at 715AM and here is a run down on what I saw.

720A Westbound NS 21M - 3 D9-40CW's, NS SD70M 2601
830A Eastbound NS 18G - D9-40CW, D8-40CW (NS repaint), PRR 5290 (Conrail Operation Lifesaver GP38-2)
840A Eastbound CSX Q300- HLCX SD45 6519, CSX D8-40CW 7851
858A Eastbound NS 24V - 2 D9-40CW's

The Operation Lifesaver GP38-2 was probably the most interseting thing on NS that I saw today. The CSX Q300 crept by right behind the NS 18G with the SD45 in the lead, so that was interesting. I left at 10AM and the NS 212 and 214 still had not gone by. I did not have a scanner, so I do not know if there was anything else out there. I am guessing that with the double track at Flemington, the NS 20K, 20R, and 24Z made it east of Potter before 715AM. Before the siding went into service, I used to see these trains. On my way back I stopped at the Woodbridge mall and while going in I heard a train going by on the Port Reading Secondary. It might have been the NS 214 or one of the tank trains.

by OCtrainguy

Thanks for the posting, General. I know that the eastbound juice train has been spotted in daylight on Sunday mornings recently. Not every week, but fairly consistent.

Also glad to see that PRR OLS 5290 has come back to New Jersey. That probably explains why the SA31 has been using CSX power this past week. Hopefully, the 5290 will return to Browns Yard very soon.

The CSX Q300 has had the same power for over a week. Glad you were able to see it with the Helm unit leading. I'll take a standard cab engine leading anytime!!

Hoping to get back up to the Lehigh Line soon. By the way, were there any other railfans there yesterday?

by nick11a

I wish. It was a gorgeous day. I was locked up in the church playing the pipe organ yesterday (as I usally am on Sundays). But, the next nice Saturday, I'll be out there.

And OCguy, I know how much you love that CR OS engine. I understand, I hold a special place for it in my heart as well.

by General

I figured that I would dust this one off. I headed out to South Plainfield, NJ yesterday 01JUL06. Here is what I saw since arriving shortly before 630am.

0640 NS 21E - NS SD70M-2 & UP SD70M westbound TV
0700 NS 19G - 2 NS D9-40CW's & NS/ex-CR SW1001 PRR 2103 westbound Mixed Freight
0738 NS 20K - NS SD70M-2 & NS SD70 eastbound TV
0800 CSX Q 439 - 2 CSX GEVO's westbound Mixed Freight
0830 NS 214 - CSX C40-8 & NS C40-9 eastbound Stack/TV
0845 NS 21M - NS D9-40CW, red/sliver BNSF D9-44CW, yellow/blue BNSF SD40-2 westbound TV
0930 CR MA80/MA01 - NS ex-CR GP38-2 PRR 5355 eastbound lite engine to South Plainfield
1000 NS 24Z - NS ex-CR D8-40CW PRR 8443 & NS C40-9 eastbound Stack
1018 NS 213 - NS GEVO(primer) & UP SD70M westbound TV
1025 NS 11J - NS D9-40CW & NS C40-9 westbound Auto
1055 NS 24V - NS D9-40CW & NS C40-9 eastbound Stack
1145 CSX O48 - CSX SD70Mac & CSX GEVO eastbound detour Stack/TV
1235 NS I14 - BNSF D9-44CW, CSX B40-8, NS B32-8 eastbound Stack/TV
1245 NS 212 - 2 NS GP60's, NS B32-8, NS GP60 eastbound Auto/TV

The Manville local MA80/MA01 was still working at the steel plant in South Plainfield when I left.

by Wanderer

General wrote:CR MA80/MA01 - NS ex-CR GP38-2 PRR 5355 Eastbound lite engine to South Plainfield
Also referred to by it's CSX symbol every now and then of C763.
General wrote:1145 CSX O48 - CSX SD70Mac & CSX GEVO eastbound detour Stack/TV
I am certain you mean NS train 078-30 (zero-seven-eight) which was a CSX detour train.
General wrote:1235 NS I14 - BNSF D9-44CW, CSX B40-8, NS B32-8 eastbound Stack/TV
Should have been the Memphis train, #202-30. If not then it may have been 214-29, but should have been 202-30. However, no I14 Saturday.