• Shared Assets Lehigh Line

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by nick11a

nick11a wrote:
njt4172 wrote:Does anyone wanna make a bet that the Comet V's won't work any better even AFTER their warranty work is completed??? I think you poor conductors should get some spray paint and write "Naparano Special" on the side of each car......J/k, don't wanna see you loose your jobs.....

Steve
Well, from what I've seen, the PAs do work better, some of the doors do close much quicker than before (but not quick enough IMO but that apparently can't be helped) and the new seatcheck holders are much better. Also, they got rid of the warning chime when closing local. Talk about redundant. I mean, what was the point of that? Warning the crewman that the door is closing? He should know that already as he just pushed the button to close it. But, they'll never be 100% probably.
And thanks OCguy.

by CNJFAN

Sunday Morning June 5th, I saw 2 seperate trains with a locomotive that had the blue conrail paint scheme.
I have not seen any of them since last Autumn and thought they were all gone.
Also saw a BNSF..

by nick11a

CNJFAN wrote:Sunday Morning June 5th, I saw 2 seperate trains with a locomotive that had the blue conrail paint scheme.
I have not seen any of them since last Autumn and thought they were all gone.
Also saw a BNSF..
Man, you're really making me feel bad that I couldn't got to Bound Brook yesterday! Haha. :wink:

I actually did get to Bound Brook for about 5 minutes at around 1:30. Saw one eastbound and had to leave.

And I have a question:

QUESTION:

How do you get to the waterworks? I've tried to find it in the past but have always failed miserably.

by CNJFAN

No clue Nick, but I believe the others @ Bound Brook know.

by nick11a

CNJFAN wrote:No clue Nick, but I believe the others @ Bound Brook know.
Yeah, I was hoping someone else in here knew.

Thanks though.

by CR80MAC

You go west on Main Street in Bound Brook under 287, past the ballpark, and make a left on Polhemus Lane. You go over the NJT tracks and then make the first left. Follow the road along the train tracks with the garbage cars. You'll come to the RR crossing of the Lehigh Line. Go over the tracks and there will be an old beat up line of single track. Make a right after you cross the tracks onto the dirt road. Then you follow that for a little bit and then cross back over the tracks when you get to the start of the bridge and you can park right there. Hope this isn't to confusing.

Mike
http://cr80mac.rrpicturearchives.net

by nick11a

CR80MAC wrote:You go west on Main Street in Bound Brook under 287, past the ballpark, and make a left on Polhemus Lane. You go over the NJT tracks and then make the first left. Follow the road along the train tracks with the garbage cars. You'll come to the RR crossing of the Lehigh Line. Go over the tracks and there will be an old beat up line of single track. Make a right after you cross the tracks onto the dirt road. Then you follow that for a little bit and then cross back over the tracks when you get to the start of the bridge and you can park right there. Hope this isn't to confusing.

Mike
Thanks a lot! No, that isn't confusing. I was SO lost trying to find that thing. I covered just about all of the main roads from Bound Brook to Manville along the RVL and Lehigh. I do recall being on Polhemus at one point and figured I was in the neighborhood. Turns out I was close to the target.

Thanks Mike.

by pgengler

CR80MAC wrote:You go west on Main Street in Bound Brook under 287, past the ballpark, and make a left on Polhemus Lane. You go over the NJT tracks and then make the first left. Follow the road along the train tracks with the garbage cars. You'll come to the RR crossing of the Lehigh Line. Go over the tracks and there will be an old beat up line of single track. Make a right after you cross the tracks onto the dirt road. Then you follow that for a little bit and then cross back over the tracks when you get to the start of the bridge and you can park right there. Hope this isn't to confusing.

Mike
Thanks for the directions, Mike (even if they were meant for Nick). I headed up there yesterday and today, and it's a great place for watching trains, taking pictures, and meeting people (I ran into a group of guys from Reading yesterday, and today there was someone else out watching the trains around where I was too).
Last edited by pgengler on Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by nick11a

pgengler wrote:

Mike
Thanks for the directions, Mike (even if they were meant for Nick). I headed up there yesterday and today, and it's a great place for watching trains, taking pictures, and meeting people (I ran into a group of guys from Reading yesterday, and today there was someone else out watching the trains around where I was too).
Yeah, I was actually there today myself from 6:30 AM to 10 AM. First chance I've had to get there.

by OCtrainguy

nick11a wrote:Yeah, I was actually there today myself from 6:30 AM to 10 AM. First chance I've had to get there.
And after you left, here's what rolled through.

11:18 EB NS 18N PRR 8-40CW & NS C39-8
11:20 WB NS 213 BNSF D9-44CW & CN 5424 (great power!)
12:30 WB NS 35G NS 87xx & PRR 8-40CW

After 35G went past, I headed to South Plainfield until two o'clock, but did not see any trains while I was there. Saw nine NS trains and 1 CSX, so train was it was a really good morning.
  by CAR_FLOATER

Anyone happen to catch the WB Stacker with a CR SD-70, BNSF SD-40-2, and NS SD-40-2 (sorry, don't know numbers, not my thing) about 8:15 at South Plainfield?

Car Floater

by nick11a

OCtrainguy wrote:
nick11a wrote:Yeah, I was actually there today myself from 6:30 AM to 10 AM. First chance I've had to get there.

After 35G went past, I headed to South Plainfield until two o'clock, but did not see any trains while I was there. Saw nine NS trains and 1 CSX, so train was it was a really good morning.
Was that was you I met there OCguy? If it was, cool meeting you. Either way, I'm real sorry I missed that 11:20 with the awsome power.

by OCtrainguy

nick11a wrote:
OCtrainguy wrote:

Was that was you I met there OCguy? If it was, cool meeting you. Either way, I'm real sorry I missed that 11:20 with the awsome power.
Yes, that was me there with the grey long-sleeve shirt and Altoona Curve baseball team hat. And likewise, it was cool to meet the famouse Nick11a!

by nick11a

OCtrainguy wrote:
nick11a wrote:
OCtrainguy wrote:

Yes, that was me there with the grey long-sleeve shirt and Altoona Curve baseball team hat. And likewise, it was cool to meet the famouse Nick11a!
Famous? Haha. Infamous maybe....

I also like that Altoona shirt you were wearing with the gothic font. It was rather unique.

by OCtrainguy

With some nice weather yesterday, I headed to South Plainfield for some late afternoon/early evening rail action. Here's my report:

1. 3:35 EB NS 18G D9-40CW, SD70 & PRR GP40-2
2. 3:45 WB CR MA1 NS GP40-2 3055 & CSX GP40-2 4415 (returning to S. Plainfield Yard)
3. 4:07 EB NS 24V D9-40CW & NS 8564
4. 4:25 WB NS 35G NS 8811 & primer D9-40CW
5. 4:40 WB NS 33K BNSF 885, NS 3044 & NS 952
6. 5:20 EB CSX mixed 85xx & FURX 3024
7. 6:55 WB NS 25Z D9-40CW & BNSF D9-44CW
8. 7:40 EB CSX Q190 SD70MAC & 8-40CW
9. 8:05 EB CSX mixed 8-40CW, HLCX SD40-2, SD40-2 & HLCX (ex-BN) SD40-2
10. 8:20 WB CSX K277 SD60I/M & 8-40CW
11. 8:35 WB CSX Q191 SD60I/M & 5836

Overall it was a pretty good day. The BNSF (ATSF) 8-40CW and the slug on the 33K was really cool. Same goes for the Dash-8s & SD60I/M units! Always love seeing those type of engines. The eight o'clock mixed freight was quite colorful also as was the B36-7 5836 on the Q191. Until next time....