• Shared Assets Lehigh Line

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by kpiersol

OCtrainguy wrote:So there was some foreign power yesterday morning. :-D
[/color]
I took my first trip into Downtown Manhattan in over a year today - drove to Newark and took PATH to the WTC. At the CSX intermodal facility between Harrison & Journal Square were at least 10 UP units parked there, along with 15 or so CSX units.

Also, I don't think I will ever get over the WTC. They laid out the station almost exactly like the old station, except there is nothing there, save the Hudson News, which is also in the exact spot it was.

by nick11a

CR80MAC wrote:The BNSF engine was #4197 - C44-9W. The train was NS 212. He held at CP Bound Brook for NS 35G, NS 11J and CSX Q41712.

CR80MAC
http://cr80mac.rrpicturearchives.net
Thanks CR, I will add it to my notes for that shot. Much appreciated!

by OCtrainguy

I went out to South Plainfield this morning with a friend of mine. The activity was pretty good this morning. I got there around 7:30 a.m. and had some other railfans in the area. Here's a recap of what I saw.

1. 7:48 NS 24Z SD70 2557 (horse head) and a D9-40CW
2. 8:15 NS 11J D9-40CW & D9-40C
3. 8:55 NS 212 2 Union Pacific SD70Ms
4. 9:12 CSX Q410 2 CW44ACs
5. 9:27 NS 214 D9-40CW & 2 D9-40Cs
6. 9:52 NS 35G D9-40CW & SD60

At that point, we left for Manville. While getting off exit 12 of I-287, we saw an eastbound CSX mixed freight with CSX 8778, 8738, 613x & a Helm Leasing unit (Blue & gold).

7. 10:38 CSX Q301 SD40-2 8849 & GCFX SD40-2
8. 10:53 NS 213 3 GP60s

Finally, we saw what I think may have been Q190 on the Trenton Line as we were on Bridge Street. Had the traffic been more favorable for us, we would have been able to get some photos of that train.

by kpiersol

Great recap. Thanks for sharing - unfortunately I had another committment yesterday and was unable to get out to photograph, but there have been several photos posted of these trains yesterday on rrpicturearchives.net taken in Phillipsburg, this one of 212:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... x?id=97539

by njt4172

Yes, that fine picture was taken by my buddy Jon Berkenslimer who didn't have the decency to give me a call Saturday morning.....Dope!

by CR80MAC

Was up at South Plainfield also that morning. I was the kid with the blue Adidas jacket.

The CSX eastbound was Q43803. He had 8775, 8738, 6141 and HELM 9028.

The other eastbound CSX was Q17204. He had 5120, 7610 and 678.

Q301 had to wait for 18G to head east at 12:40 PM. Then he headed west to work Manville.

Mike
http://cr80mac.rrpicturearchive.net

by OCtrainguy

CR80MAC wrote:Was up at South Plainfield also that morning. I was the kid with the blue Adidas jacket.

The CSX eastbound was Q43803. He had 8775, 8738, 6141 and HELM 9028.

The other eastbound CSX was Q17204. He had 5120, 7610 and 678.

Q301 had to wait for 18G to head east at 12:40 PM. Then he headed west to work Manville.
Mike, thanks for the information on the Q301. I wondered what was going to happen to that train. When we got to South Plainfield, he had already gone through and was near the junction. So that means the Q301 sat there for roughly five hours!

Thanks again for the info on the intermodal. I would've loved to gotten a photo of that train from the Bridge Street overpass, but the traffic on Main Street in Manville was insane!! All I needed was an extra twenty seconds.

How long did you stay at South Plainfield?
  by CAR_FLOATER

Did anyone happen to catch the train that passed thru South Plainfield this morning (or earlier or later depending on your location) that was making one HELL of a racket? I was awakened around 7:30 by the most hellacious sound of an eastbound, it sounded like it was either a ballast cleaning train, a rail grinding train, or one REALLY F*%^ED UP engine(s) that needed some serious shop time. I could hear this thing comming AND going a long ways off, it was that loud. Does anyone know of a special move, or was it indeed a "sick engine"?
I sure hope somebody was trackside or scanner side this morning!

Car Floater
S. Plainfield, NJ

by CR80MAC

OCtrainguy wrote:How long did you stay at South Plainfield?
We left after Q438 went by at about 10:30. Then we headed down to Ziegler Chemical in Piscataway and then on to the waterworks.

Mike

by CNJFAN

This Monday evening I saw a train with 3 Soo Lines Engines.
That was a first for me.

by nick11a

CNJFAN wrote:This Monday evening I saw a train with 3 Soo Lines Engines.
That was a first for me.
Wow, you did? Pretty cool!

by CNJFAN

Yes, I was a little surprised.
Have Soo Line trains been known to travel shared assets in the recent past?

by CR80MAC

CNJFAN wrote:Yes, I was a little surprised.
Have Soo Line trains been known to travel shared assets in the recent past?
That's the D&H train that heads from Canada to Oak Island and return. He usually has some CP SD40s or SOO SD60s for power. Once in a while he'll have a red barn or something else unusual.

Mike

by kpiersol

This morning about 7:45 AM a very short (probably less than 20 cars) mixed intermodal was going EB through Manville headed for CSA with two CP Rail units sandwiched around a SOO. No pictures (was too cloudy, too late and too far away to get numbers or models). What route does this train take??

by njt4172

kpiersol wrote:This morning about 7:45 AM a very short (probably less than 20 cars) mixed intermodal was going EB through Manville headed for CSA with two CP Rail units sandwiched around a SOO. No pictures (was too cloudy, too late and too far away to get numbers or models). What route does this train take??
Kim,

I'm pretty sure that was the DH-166 you saw. I'm pretty sure it originates in Toronto, Canada, comes down the Southern Tier to Binghamton. Once in Binghamton it goes down the DL&W main to Taylor yard and then heads down to Allentown via the old CNJ line......East of Allentown it heads east on the LV line....

Steve