• Shared Assets Lehigh Line

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by RandallW

Bracdude181 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:53 am Wonder what they would wanna do at Port Newark that they can’t do at the port in Montreal…
Service customers with vessels that have a draft in excess of 36 ft (the limit in Port of Montreal), in excess of 42 ft (Port of Saint John), but under 50 ft (Port Newark).

I don't know that is what they want to do, but that is what they can do that they can't do in the Ports of Montreal or Saint John.
  by JohnFromJersey

AceMacSD wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:40 pm The plan CP was going for was aiding in the restoration of the cutoff. CP were willing to put $$$$ into raising the low wire and any other low clearances. They'd then come off NJT in Watchung or Montclair onto another old NJT line where it'd terminate at a facility they'd build in JC or Kearny. I'd have to get clarification on what lines they were & when these talks were happening.

AYCS, this never happened with NS holding onto a stretch of trackage. This info came from sources at NJT who dealt directly with CP & NS.
That "old NJT line" that "NS [held] onto a stretch of trackage" was definitely the Old Boontown Line. That plan, if it were to come back, is DOA, given that the State of NJ paid NS an absorbent amount of money for the RoW.

Not surprised NS held onto the RoW for so long without doing anything, CP is a major NS competitor that I believe has a better reputation among customers and employees alike. NS (and CSX) have a monopoly in the NJ market, even if NS sold that line for $1 Trillion to CP, it would still likely hurt NS operations in the area significantly. Now that RoW will likely never be used again for trains.
PennRail42 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:52 am As of an hour ago, 8:00 AM 6/20/23, the Colebrookdale Steam Locomotive 5288 is in Allentown yard. Looks like it will be leaving soon.
Bracdude181 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:53 am Where’s that going?
Likely to Colebrookdale's property in PA. They acquired ownership of the engine from Tennesee in April, but I wouldn't be shocked if they are just getting possession of it now.
CR7876 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:38 am Maybe the sand traffic is what the CP is after.
Bracdude181 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:48 am Some south jersey sand comes out of Philly but that alone? I don’t think so. At least back in the 90s there was still enough traffic there to justify running there directly. But as previously stated much of what they would’ve served is gone.

So what does Morrisvile have to offer?
I have a hunch that CR7876 was being sarcastic here, Bracdude181.
RandallW wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:10 am Service customers with vessels that have a draft in excess of 36 ft (the limit in Port of Montreal), in excess of 42 ft (Port of Saint John), but under 50 ft (Port Newark).

I don't know that is what they want to do, but that is what they can do that they can't do in the Ports of Montreal or Saint John.
Port Newark is already pretty congested. Not sure how even more ships going in there, even with the added railroad service, would fare for everyone else.
  by AceMacSD

JohnFromJersey wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:20 am That "old NJT line" that "NS [held] onto a stretch of trackage" was definitely the Old Boontown Line. That plan, if it were to come back, is DOA, given that the State of NJ paid NS an absorbent amount of money for the RoW.

Not surprised NS held onto the RoW for so long without doing anything, CP is a major NS competitor that I believe has a better reputation among customers and employees alike. NS (and CSX) have a monopoly in the NJ market, even if NS sold that line for $1 Trillion to CP, it would still likely hurt NS operations in the area significantly. Now that RoW will likely never be used again for trains.
Obviously it's dead. This CP's plan died bout 15-20 years ago. This was supposed to start not long after CR split. Thing is, CP WAS willing to deal out the $$$$ to rebuild that cutoff & raise bridges & catenary & build an intermodal facility. That cutoff's being restored for passenger trains only. My guys at NJT are saying they're on track to continue rebuilding the line without freight interest.
  by Bracdude181

I can see why they’d wanna go that way at the time, since they still owned the Sunbury Sub and were regularly running to Taylor. Could’ve branched off to go that way.
  by Ken W2KB

RandallW wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:10 am
Bracdude181 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:53 am Wonder what they would wanna do at Port Newark that they can’t do at the port in Montreal…
Service customers with vessels that have a draft in excess of 36 ft (the limit in Port of Montreal), in excess of 42 ft (Port of Saint John), but under 50 ft (Port Newark).

Such as this ship enroute to Port Newark, after raising the clearance height of the Bayonne Bridge. News report with text, photos and video from about 5 years ago: https://abc7ny.com/bayonne-bridge-big-s ... r/2386516/
  by Bracdude181

I did have a brief look at the port of Montreal and it’s much smaller than Port Newark. Wonder what else PN has to offer that CP would be willing to cross the US/Canada border to go to PN. Faster container turnaround times? Cheaper rates? Wonder if they’d make that a sort of exchange point with NS and CSX for intermodal trains. I.E. NS drops loaded well cars for CP for them to bring up to Montreal and points east/west of there…
  by AceMacSD

As stated earlier, maybe they want that sand from south Jersey.
  by Bracdude181

Hmm. Why NJ sand specifically… Must be good for construction.

As far as carload traffic goes I’m wondering what they’d be interested in overall. As in North Jersey, South Jersey, etc. Anything that goes through some of the aforementioned yards.

The rumor is still popping up in my circles but nothing new is being said, minus one thing. Supposedly those who have told me about this say the people pushing for these trains are from KCS. Wonder what might come off their part of the network that they’d wanna bring directly to these yards…
  by AceMacSD

Sounds like someone's pipe dream.
  by Bracdude181

Kinda does actually lol.
  by AceMacSD

A lot of CP and KCS engines in CR N Jersey lately...🤔
  by Bracdude181

I mean… those engines frequently come in on oil and sometimes intermodal and have done so for years. I don’t see how that would mean anything…
  by AceMacSD

That's right they have been coming in for years. From your previous posts about CP coming into N Jersey maybe these units would've added more validation to your cockamamie theory of CP/KC coming into N. Jersey.
  by Bracdude181

It’s not my theory. It’s a rumor I heard and I brought it up cause I thought it was interesting and I was curious if anyone else had been hearing it
  by AceMacSD

Like your rumors of all these businesses who only tell YOU that they'd want rail service yet they turn away the railroad. Or the rumor of this great intermodal transload facility in Toms River...