• Shared Assets Lehigh Line

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Bracdude181

Two questions.

1. If such rights have been discontinued, why are they still on the 2020 CP map?

2. I don’t see the River Sub specifically being mentioned, so do they still have rights on that?
  by AceMacSD

The port area may be growing but rail service has gone down considerably. Traffic is down not only in general freight. The refinery traffic that bommed several years ago is all but gone. The auto facility is dead.
T he commercial marketplace which doesn't use rail has practically taken over the waterfront.

With the haulage rights, they don’t have to use them to maintain them. It's an agreement with the carriers that can be modified as need be. They don't have to run a train over such trackage.
  by CR7876

Bracdude181 wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:43 pm Two questions.

2. I don’t see the River Sub specifically being mentioned, so do they still have rights on that?
I don't believe the D&H had rights on the West Side, just the east side to access NYC.
  by Bracdude181

Those must be CP rights then Still curious as to why they advertise the D&H trackage rights despite long being discontinued. If the map is incorrect then is it possible they don’t have rights into OI and Fresh Pond either?
  by CR7876

The answer is simple. The D&H is no longer the common carrier, NS is. There is probably an agreement where traffic can still be generated on the CP System, just handed over to the NS for final delivery.
  by Bracdude181

You mean the old D&H line to Sunbury? Why did they sell it to NS? Low traffic?
  by AceMacSD

To add to your CP to Morrisville rumor. Per one of my C&D guys whose very familiar with operations on the D&D side before NS handed it over. CP was looking to gain access to NYC thru another route. They'd were willing to put out $$$ to the commuter RR to make the route usable to run double stacks. The competition with ties to the commuter carrier squashed CP's pipe dream.
  by Bracdude181

You mean go the way H70 does? Why not just go down CSX River Sub?
  by AceMacSD

No not that way. That routes been clear for double stacks when I was on CR and FWIH it's still is.
  by Bracdude181

Only other way into that area from there is the NYSW Southern Div which branches off the commuter line somewhere.
  by AceMacSD

The plan CP was going for was aiding in the restoration of the cutoff. CP were willing to put $$$$ into raising the low wire and any other low clearances. They'd then come off NJT in Watchung or Montclair onto another old NJT line where it'd terminate at a facility they'd build in JC or Kearny. I'd have to get clarification on what lines they were & when these talks were happening.

AYCS, this never happened with NS holding onto a stretch of trackage. This info came from sources at NJT who dealt directly with CP & NS.
  by PennRail42

As of an hour ago, 8:00 AM 6/20/23, the Colebrookdale Steam Locomotive 5288 is in Allentown yard. Looks like it will be leaving soon.
  by Bracdude181

Where’s that going?

@Acemac Interesting. What I’ve been hearing is that CP is looking to do something similar, but that they’ll go down CSX River Sub and go to Port Newark. Nothing about a new facility mentioned. Wonder what they would wanna do at Port Newark that they can’t do at the port in Montreal…

Did your guys say how many trains a day they’d be looking to run? These new rumors say CP is 1-2 intermodals a day to Port Newark and at least one manifest that would serve Oak Island, Morrisville, and Philly. Considering what’s been said in the last couple posts I’m seriously scratching my head as to why CP would want to run to Morrisville and Philly. IMO they’d be better off exchanging with CSX in Oak Island and just having M405 and M406 worry about that. At least going to North Jersey somewhat makes sense.
  by CR7876

Maybe the sand traffic is what the CP is after.
  by Bracdude181

Some south jersey sand comes out of Philly but that alone? I don’t think so. At least back in the 90s there was still enough traffic there to justify running there directly. But as previously stated much of what they would’ve served is gone.

So what does Morrisvile have to offer?