• Shared Assets Lehigh Line

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by AceMacSD

I'm pretty sure those D&H crews are gone now. We'd a few come over after they'd were forced into NS. The traffic to OI died off and there wasn't a reason to run beyond Bethlehem PA. Their transfer station had some legal issues that shut it down. Now it operates under a new owner.
  by Bracdude181

The customer that trains 258 and 259 served? (I think those were the symbols) I thought they went out of business?
  by AceMacSD

Don't know the train symbols. If those were the ones that went to/from OI, than yes, they'd gone out of business on some legal troubles.

For Philly, the D&H job had an interesting little operation down there. Got to see it while we were going to the football games also when I'd bounced into Philly. They'd have a decent amount of work for them. Philly's waterfront redevelopment plan ended that work along the river. They'd work the navy base too til the navy pulled out. Now that went to a private operation not sure if they'd still get rail.
  by Railcar1

I remember both CR Shared Assets and CSX working the river stuff there after D&H got done their work in the evenings.
  by JohnFromJersey

Does the Navy Yard area have any freight activity left? I pass through that area somewhat frequently when I go to see my friends living in Philly, and I see the tracks are still there, but I can't tell if they are in use much anymore. Some spots the rail looks shiny, and other spots, it looks super rusty.
  by Bracdude181

Doesn’t look like it.
  by Railcar1

It’s been empty the few times I’ve passed it since CP left. I wonder if CSX uses the tracks for storage. Anyone know?
  by AceMacSD

There was a lot of work down there when I'd worked in Philly many years before split. We'd had work at the coal docks, piers, petrochemical & a lot of overall local industries. Spoke with one of my Philly guys this morning. The Navy pulled out of the shipyard. It's owned by a private salvage company now that doesn't use rail. CR Shared works a few businesses in the area. Not much work there now.
  by Railcar1

AceMac- Wow I didn’t realize how bad it got over there. A shame to see all that traffic gone .
  by Bracdude181

Now I’m more confused as to why I’m hearing CP wants to go into Philly again. Even just for one manifest train, which is what I heard they are thinking about doing.

If almost everything is gone, why bother?
  by CR7876

Bracdude181 wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:17 am Now I’m more confused as to why I’m hearing CP wants to go into Philly again. Even just for one manifest train, which is what I heard they are thinking about doing.

If almost everything is gone, why bother?
Because someone is telling you a lie.
  by Bracdude181

Perhaps I should look into who started this then. Some of this sounds pretty far fetched. Especially the part about them running to Morrisville. The hell would CP wanna do there?
  by RandallW

Per their 2022 map, CPKC has trackage and/or haulage rights to Philadelphia. Do they need to exercise them to maintain them?

BTW, it does seem the Port of Philadelphia is growing, not shrinking.
  by Bracdude181

They aren’t using those rights at the moment. Wonder why the haulage rights are over the NEC and not the Trenton Sub…

They also have rights into Fresh Pond yard in NY but don’t use those either.
  by CR7876

RandallW wrote:Per their 2022 map, CPKC has trackage and/or haulage rights to Philadelphia. Do they need to exercise them to maintain them?

BTW, it does seem the Port of Philadelphia is growing, not shrinking.
https://dcms-external.s3.amazonaws.com/ ... /44585.pdf

They discontinued those rights in 2015.