Railroad Forums 

• September 5 Schedule Changes

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1578982  by MACTRAXX

RCT: The Cynwyd schedule has four round trips - two each in the morning and afternoon.
The first AM run Cynwyd-SS and the last PM run SS-Cynwyd both have deadhead equipment moves
before and after respectively both runs. This service only needs a single car and a T&E crew.

Ryan: September is always an interesting month for monthly pass sales traditionally depending on how
the calendar sets up - and when Labor Day is resulting in two busy peak sales days instead of one.

September 2021 begins on a Wednesday with Labor Day on the 6th. That week may be a 4-day one for many.
The problem with the discounted weeks of September 13, 20 and 27 is that to take advantage of the weekly
pass discounts one may have to purchase other fares depending on which other days that they use RRD.

September 30th is on a Thursday which would mean a three-day "overlap" for those that used weekly
passes in September purchasing an October monthly. 4 days/week is usually a WP break-even point.

Give SEPTA credit for at least offering the weekly RRD discounts in September.
The week of September 6 should have been included in this program...MACTRAXX
 #1579010  by PHLSpecial

I wish the discount applied until the end of the year. It makes no sense they use free parking to bring back ridership for regional rail. Septa's direction still focuses on the suburban riders and not ridership for all.
 #1579094  by ryan92084

Using free parking? Parking has been free for a year and a half because they laid all the parking checkers off at the start of the pandemic and never rehired them. I'm assuming by october they are hoping to have key parking up and running finally.
 #1579132  by MACTRAXX

PHLSpecial wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:46 am I wish the discount applied until the end of the year. It makes no sense they use free parking to bring back ridership for regional rail. Septa's direction still focuses on the suburban riders and not ridership for all.
PHL:

1-With SEPTA's "Every Dime Every Time" monetary mentality just be thankful that the three-week September
weekly pass discounts were even offered. I agree with Ryan about offering monthly riders something similar.

2-It makes perfect sense to offer suburban commuters free parking until the end of October as another perk
or incentive to get ridership back to Regional Rail. Many of these passengers would drive otherwise...

SEPTA Regional Rail's traditional core ridership is the primarily suburban residing weekday commuter that
works in and around Center City Philadelphia. There has to be a balance between these riders and reverse
commuters - who are primarily City residents - which can be a very delicate process to serve both well...

Ryan: I was unaware that SEPTA has not charged for parking for over a year in lots that they control.
Were any notices at or near parking slotboxes posted? What was the last month in 2020 when parking
permits were sold if you recall? Makes me wonder how much coin went uncollected after the checkers
were laid off...(for those unaware these SEPTA parking lot checkers collect the cash from the slotboxes
and write parking violation tickets for those that either did not pay the daily fee or not display a valid
monthly parking permit) I agree that the Key parking machines may be in use come November...

MACTRAXX
 #1579186  by ryan92084

Many but not all lots still have signage, usually directly on the box covering the slots. Of course over the year+ signs have gotten lost/damaged and with stations being unmanned haven't been replaced.

The last parking permits/coin collections were either February or March of 2020.
 #1579249  by rcthompson04

ryan92084 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:34 pm Many but not all lots still have signage, usually directly on the box covering the slots. Of course over the year+ signs have gotten lost/damaged and with stations being unmanned haven't been replaced.

The last parking permits/coin collections were either February or March of 2020.
That is correct. The last parking collections were made in March 2020.