Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1285757  by andegold

In the Amtrak Gateway Tunnel thread Thomas wrote:
Thomas wrote:There is now more political interest for a Secaucus Loop.

http://www.midhudsonnews.com/News/2014/ ... 5Aug14.htm
I don't think this belongs in Amtrak so I have started it here but maybe it should be in Metro-North? If the loop were ever actually built could that provide an opportunity for the MTA to take over direct operation of West of Hudson Service? In the (fantasy to some) future of Hudson Line service down the Empire Connection and New Haven service over Hell Gate the only real issue would be integrating the equipment pools somehow. It would also make more sense for football specials from the New Haven even though they would terminate in NJ and not in NY.

Dutch, yes, I know they don't have rights or qualification. We're talking many years possibly a decade or more before the loop and the new tunnels could be built and capacity found at the platforms. Surely those things could be worked out contractually during that time.

Port Jervis trains could then run express in NJ and run strictly to NYP. NJT would retain Suffern Yard and Port Jervis passengers could transfer there or at Secaucus for Hoboken. What would happen on the Pascack Valley Line? It is my undertanding that NJT owns all infrastructure there other than station buildings. I'm sure there is neither track capacity nor ridership to justify MTA only expresses there.
 #1285772  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Never be Hudson service. Empire Tunnel enters Penn facing the wrong direction for continuing further. And even if Gateway, Penn South, etc. etc. gets built to ease some of the Amtrak/NJT/LIRR crunch Empire trains are still locked into a very limited number of platform slots by the Empire Tunnel alignment. Trying a ham-fisted reverse for the sake of 1 stop into New Jersey is a futile effort. For same reason Amtrak's never going to try to force-fit run-thru trains to Albany.
 #1285788  by trainbrain

Whatever happens, Hoboken service should not be decimated like it was with Midtown Direct on the Morristown line and Gladstone Branch. Now if you want to get from a Gladstone Branch Station to Hobokenon a weekend, it is a 3 seat ride when it used to be a one seat ride. Not everyone wants to go to Penn Station. If they want to ease crowding on the New York lines, then get Path to step up to the plate and add weekend service to the HOB-WTC line. That is the best way to get to lower Manhattan. If I was going to Lower Manhattan, I would go to Hoboken and take the Path every time rather than an overcrowded and late train from Secaucus to New York. Another thing that should be done is double tracking the waterfront connection and having NEC and NJCL trains go to New York and Hoboken. For lower Manhattan, that is the best way to get there and I would think that those trains would get good ridership. The HOB-Bay Head express trains on the NJCL are well used, so why not add more Hoboken trains. for the RVL, if it was possible to switch the terminal from Newark to Hoboken, then people could still transfer to get to Penn Station at Newark, or to go to the NJ side and lower Manhattan, continue to Hoboken. Having both terminals available on the most crowded lines could reduce crowding significantly.
 #1285794  by andegold

I never said abandon Hoboken entirely. Main Line and Bergen Line trains would still go to Hoboken. Port Jervis trains would use the loop NYP.
 #1285844  by Hawaiitiki

This article is all hot air. The article mentions folks in Orange and Rockland wanting access before Gateway is finished. Its impossible. There are no more rush hour slots. They're not going to build a massive multi-million dollar loop to get a few day trippers directly into Manhattan 6 years before the new tunnels are built.
 #1285855  by trainzrok

Looks to me like it would defeat the purpose of Secaucus Jct. It's not like the transfer is THAT painful. God forbid someone has to get out of there seat and walk to the upper level.
 #1285872  by MattW

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:Never be Hudson service. Empire Tunnel enters Penn facing the wrong direction for continuing further. And even if Gateway, Penn South, etc. etc. gets built to ease some of the Amtrak/NJT/LIRR crunch Empire trains are still locked into a very limited number of platform slots by the Empire Tunnel alignment. Trying a ham-fisted reverse for the sake of 1 stop into New Jersey is a futile effort. For same reason Amtrak's never going to try to force-fit run-thru trains to Albany.
I don't understand this. Why is the Empire Tunnel facing the "wrong" direction for service? It enters Penn Station right? I'm not even sure what it has to do with the Bergen Loops proposed in the article.
 #1285891  by F-line to Dudley via Park

MattW wrote:
F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:Never be Hudson service. Empire Tunnel enters Penn facing the wrong direction for continuing further. And even if Gateway, Penn South, etc. etc. gets built to ease some of the Amtrak/NJT/LIRR crunch Empire trains are still locked into a very limited number of platform slots by the Empire Tunnel alignment. Trying a ham-fisted reverse for the sake of 1 stop into New Jersey is a futile effort. For same reason Amtrak's never going to try to force-fit run-thru trains to Albany.
I don't understand this. Why is the Empire Tunnel facing the "wrong" direction for service? It enters Penn Station right? I'm not even sure what it has to do with the Bergen Loops proposed in the article.
http://i.imgur.com/21TaeHC.jpg?1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The pink line that reverses on itself is the Empire Tunnel. Trains entering Penn from the Empire Tunnel face northbound...towards New Haven. You cannot get to or from New Jersey via the Hudson Line without changing ends on-platform at Penn. With such a limited and unexpandable selection of platforms the Empire Tunnel can conceivably cross over onto, there's not nearly enough space for changing ends in the middle of an ongoing revenue trip.

That specific question viz-a-viz Hudson to NJ was asked 6 posts up in the thread, so don't shoot the messenger.
 #1285900  by 25Hz

You know, double track waterfront connection & sending some NEC trains to hoboken sounds like exactly what we need. The sandy damaged & now limited lifespan north river tunnels are bound to have a service-ending issue sooner rather than later, which would force some NEC trains to go to hoboken, and others to turn at newark or SEC.

It is simple common sense to me. On top of all above, it would add one more option if PATH or buses have issue near newark penn.
 #1285901  by ThirdRail7

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:
MattW wrote:

The pink line that reverses on itself is the Empire Tunnel. Trains entering Penn from the Empire Tunnel face northbound...towards New Haven. You cannot get to or from New Jersey via the Hudson Line without changing ends on-platform at Penn. With such a limited and unexpandable selection of platforms the Empire Tunnel can conceivably cross over onto, there's not nearly enough space for changing ends in the middle of an ongoing revenue trip.

That specific question viz-a-viz Hudson to NJ was asked 6 posts up in the thread, so don't shoot the messenger.

Why not F-Line? NJT does it every day, all day. I think you're missing the intent (unless I am). I don't think this is a matter of 1 stop. I'm thinking Andegold is talking about run through service. If you time it correctly, it is not that much of an issue. A Hudson train can arrive from the Empire Connection and assume the slot of another train to Port Jervis via the Secaucus Loop on the platform in the same manner as a NJT Midtown Direct becoming a NJCL train right on the platform. If you want a gap between the runs you can loop it through SSYD. For the record, the finalized plans already exist for expanding the reach of the Empire Tunnel. If someone wanted to fund it, you can reach up to 14 track probably within a year of the go ahead.

This idea is not a far fetched as it seems.
 #1285916  by MattW

MattW wrote:

I still don't have a clue what you're getting at. The Empire Connection has absolutely nothing to do with the Bergen Loops (actually Secaucus Loops?) other than being another source of traffic to potentially contend with. No one is talking about trying to run Hudson line trains into New Jersey.
 #1285930  by andegold

Mattw, what Hudson Line service has to do with the Bergen Loop is pretty much what this thread is all about. The Loop was pretty much killed off years ago but now state lawmakers in Orange and Rockland Counties are pushing the MTA to revive it. They are doing this because their constituents pay MTA sales taxes and corporate taxes locally and don't feel they get enough in return. In a thread in the Metro-North forum there is a discussion about why the MTA chose to operate Metro-North directly rather than contract it out. Well, West of Hudson Service is contracted out to NJT. I believe this arrangement is primarily because of two reasons: the number of stops in NJ and the lines terminating in NJ. If there were fewer stops in NJ or if the terminus was in NY rather than NJ then there would less legal obstruction to a NY agency running the service directly. If I had merely raised that question everyone here would be down my throat yelling about no maintenance base in NY for MTA and an isolated equipment pool for a small service. Integrating this service with with the service and equipment proposed to enter NYP via the Hudson and New Haven Lines seemed to me to be a potential solution to that problem.
 #1285950  by trainbrain

25Hz wrote:You know, double track waterfront connection & sending some NEC trains to hoboken sounds like exactly what we need. The sandy damaged & now limited lifespan north river tunnels are bound to have a service-ending issue sooner rather than later, which would force some NEC trains to go to hoboken, and others to turn at newark or SEC.

It is simple common sense to me. On top of all above, it would add one more option if PATH or buses have issue near newark penn.
Newark already has Path service, but some people work in Hoboken and the NJ side as well. I'm sure that Hoboken trains from the NEC would be well used. The connection is not electrified, so dual modes would be used running electric on the NEC and switching to diesel to go to Hoboken. They could also run a diesel under the wire. If the connection was double tracked, then they should add weekend service from Hoboken to Trenton, Bay Head, Dover/Hackettstown, Gladstone, and Montclair State University (assuming that Path had weekend service too). Having service to both terminals at all times would increase ridership and reduce crowding.
 #1285981  by F-line to Dudley via Park

ThirdRail7 wrote:
MattW wrote:

Why not F-Line? NJT does it every day, all day. I think you're missing the intent (unless I am). I don't think this is a matter of 1 stop. I'm thinking Andegold is talking about run through service. If you time it correctly, it is not that much of an issue. A Hudson train can arrive from the Empire Connection and assume the slot of another train to Port Jervis via the Secaucus Loop on the platform in the same manner as a NJT Midtown Direct becoming a NJCL train right on the platform. If you want a gap between the runs you can loop it through SSYD. For the record, the finalized plans already exist for expanding the reach of the Empire Tunnel. If someone wanted to fund it, you can reach up to 14 track probably within a year of the go ahead.

This idea is not a far fetched as it seems.
There is an enormous degree-of-difficulty difference between scheduling terminating commuter trains around a reverse at a one of the world's busiest terminals, and thru-run commuter trains that have to keep schedule on both sides of reverse at one of the world's busiest terminals. Every current commuter train has either 100% of its passengers boarding or exiting at Penn, necessitating a layover longer than the minimum time it would take for the engineer to change ends because that's the only physical way to clear that many bodies off the train. Those tight margins still have lots of margin for error built into them, because you can only herd cattle through Penn so quickly. And if Train #A arrives late, there are plenty of alternatives for making sure Train #B doesn't leave late and take Train #C and #D's slots through the North River tunnels with it. Like redirecting the late arrival to a different platform, scrambling a run-as-directed from Sunnyside to backstop the equipment before the dominoes start falling, etc. As well as options to scramble if there's an equipment problem when they change ends. That dance is done every day of the week, and it's done because the train schedules aren't joined at the hip in revenue service. Even if there were some sort of cross-train tix honoring through the terminal, passenger has no expectation that they won't have to scramble and move to a different platform if that's the way the equipment gets shuffled.

If you predicate a Poughkeepsie-Secaucus train on holding its time into Secaucus on one schedule with Penn as a non-terminal stop, you lose most of that margin for error and the dominoes are regularly going to start falling affecting other schedules. 95% of the arriving passengers are still going to be disembarking at Penn, meaning the layover time for a commuter train isn't shortened much at all (in contrast to Amtrak where the overturn on a run-thru is 80%, 75%, 60% or less). Any commuter rail train...including New Haven's and LIRR's that don't have to do the reverse. You lose most of the ability to juggle platform assignments around late arrivals solely because of that 5% staying onboard for the run-thru. You lose the ability to keep a late Poughkeepsie train from fouling someone else's slot through the North River tunnels because that late train zooms to the top of the dispatch priority pile. If it were late at the end of its run the the Penn layover and non-revenue shuffles elsewhere correct the disruption. If it were late at the beginning of its run it can make up for lost time late. If it's late in the middle of its run...something else has to take the hit to create a slot for it around the North River tunnels.

Yeah, it can be done...in some sort of Transit OCD abstract world. But it's damn ugly and would introduce all kinds of flow problems. Especially when that set of Empire-accessible platforms is locked into the North River Tunnels alignment. At least the NJT/New Haven and NJT/LIRR run-thru options have 1) a little more tunnel redundancy to choose from in the Gateway era, 2) don't have to hold their breath on completing a glitch-free reverse mid-trip on both ends of the trip, 3) can use the more spacious Gateway/Penn South side of the terminal to reduce dwell times, and 4) have a little more potential for less-total passenger overturn (esp. to New Haven) at Penn to shave an insignificant additional amount of time off dwells. I don't see how the ops awkwardness of it would ever permit that to happen on the Hudson side. Since those platforms aren't going to get any less crowded post-Gateway, and I don't see any plausible data that travel demand from the Hudson to New Jersey is so great that you can keep enough people onboard through Penn to shorten those dwells.

Transfers honored on a single cross-ticket...yeah, I could envision that. One-seat ride...forget it. Not even Amtrak thinks they have plausible run-thru options from the Empire to points south with Albany Regionals. And I suspect they have decades worth of traffic models--both Gateway-modeled and non- Gateway-modeled--starkly showing the ops infeasibility of that. If they can't swing it with a far lower ridership turnover at Penn, I don't see how commuter rail can do it.
 #1287274  by F40

trainzrok wrote:Looks to me like it would defeat the purpose of Secaucus Jct. It's not like the transfer is THAT painful. God forbid someone has to get out of there seat and walk to the upper level.
The loops will not eliminate Secaucus as a stop (for those who actually travel to/from there by car/taxi/bus). From the Gateway's preliminary drawings, the loops will hook onto the new "south ROW" of the NEC which will be built for 2 new tracks into Penn Station, not the current ROW. In a perfect world, after trains serve SEC, it would take the loop into Penn Station. However, the preliminary drawings indicate the possibility of a "SEC South" station going up next to the current one (lots of pork I expect), so that the "south ROW" will also have "access to SEC." I personally think this threatens the loop project and any hope for Bergen/upstate NY commuters for a one-seat ride, as who knows how much $$ the new station will take to build. With the loops, you will decrease the folks needing to use SEC (far cry from needing a 2nd SEC). Without them, you will end up having 2x the people transferring at the marshland (which does not need to be made any bigger by the way, it is under capacity even at today's rush hour). With a mega-budget project such as the Gateway, wouldn't it be nice to upgrade the commuter experience for more passengers as well, instead of leaving them stuck in the early 2000's era of (transferring) commuting for the forseeable future because if this doesn't, what will? There are many folks on the Bergen lines who ask why isn't there a direct train into NYP.