Railroad Forums 

• searching for the identity of

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#282764  by idseer

an old family picture of a trainwreck. the picture was taken around 1910/15 and there is only one marking visible. the engine number was 1218. there's a good shot of the tender but no writing whatsoever that i can tell. i also can't see the wheel arrangement. i only know it's old. it has a big old box lamp kind of affair on it.
the only engine i come up with under that number is a challenger and it sure wasn't that!
not sure where the wreck (it looks like it basically just rolled to it's side. i don't know if it was repaired or scrapped) was but most likely in pa. or ny.

would anyone here have a clue?

thanks.

#283750  by ACLfan2

Unfortunately, with only the number 1218 to go on, no way! (unless you went to the federal government archives and searched the train accident reports for each year during the probable period of time that you are talking about).

To spend that much time, you want to find out really bad, because it is tedius and time-consuming work!

The accident report would report the locomotive #.

Take care and best wishes!

ACLfan2

#283925  by SSW9389

idseer I would confine a search to the railroads close to where your relatives were living. You should be able to narrow it down that way. :wink: You are most likely going to find the locomotives identity that way. Good luck.

#284155  by BR&P

If there is any way you can post a link to the photo it might help. Even on its side without a clear wheel count, someone may recognize some feature which would give a clue. The type of headlight, arrangement of the sand and steam domes, bell mounting, who knows. The number that is visible - is it painted on the cab, or a number plate on the front? How big a number plate? How is it mounted? Any decorations on the cab - stripes or trimwork? If the number is painted, the size and style of the digits might help. maybe none of the above will help but if you can post a photo somehow I bet somebody will identify something, or at least eliminate a few railroads that it could NOT be.

#285692  by idseer

BR&P wrote:If there is any way you can post a link to the photo it might help. Even on its side without a clear wheel count, someone may recognize some feature which would give a clue. The type of headlight, arrangement of the sand and steam domes, bell mounting, who knows. The number that is visible - is it painted on the cab, or a number plate on the front? How big a number plate? How is it mounted? Any decorations on the cab - stripes or trimwork? If the number is painted, the size and style of the digits might help. maybe none of the above will help but if you can post a photo somehow I bet somebody will identify something, or at least eliminate a few railroads that it could NOT be.
thanks for the replies.

i could scan it but then i don't know how i'd post it.

#285743  by pennsy

Hi All,

The number 1218 does suggest an articulated engine, but not a challenger. The A-5 from Norfolk and Western. That is a 2-6-6-4 and is alive and well, but not under steam. Take a closer look at the photo.

#285800  by BR&P

I think the only reason the number "suggests" an articulated loco is we have all heard of N&W's 1218 from its fan trips and the mere fact that it survives today. As far as I know there was no organized trend to numbering articulateds in that series. The N&W A class was built in the early 1940's and the photo in question was from 1910-1915 era he says. So rule out the N&W A.

#285821  by Engineer James

What? Ummmm, Pennsy maybe u have heard wrong. As far as I know 1218 is still alive and kicking, Fall Season should be starting soon for Rides and things..... Now Frisco #1522 was put up because the lease was up.

#286444  by GOLDEN-ARM

Scan the photo, post it here : http://photobucket.com/ and then copy the IMG link, put it into your post, "close the tags" and enter. the picture will appear in your post. Regards :-D

#286518  by SSW9389

Norfolk Southern terminated their steam program in 1994. The 1218 went to the Virginia Transportation Museum in Roanoke in 2001. Is the museum running these fantrips? Don't think so. :wink:
Engineer James wrote:What? Ummmm, Pennsy maybe u have heard wrong. As far as I know 1218 is still alive and kicking, Fall Season should be starting soon for Rides and things..... Now Frisco #1522 was put up because the lease was up.