Railroad Forums 

• SD70 Standard Cab - In Conrail Paint?

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#758371  by Tadman

I could swear I just saw a SD70 with the traditional cab and narrow short hood go past my office with HTCR trucks. Any truth to this model existing or are my eyes playing tricks on me?
 #758605  by lvrr325

Conrail had an order on the books at the split that was far enough out that NS and CSX were able to get it changed. NS had them build 25 SD70s with standard cab, and they came in Conrail paint but numbered in an NS series. I think the order was to be for SD80MACs, and CSX had SD70MACs built instead.
 #758645  by NSDash9

Conrail had ordered 28 additional SD80MAC locomotives, but that order was suspended as the NS and CSX takeover of Conrail proceeded. In its place, Conrail ordered 24 EMD SD70 locomoitives built to NS specifications and 15 EMD SD70MAC locomotives built to CSX specifications, as each group would go to the respective road following the Conrail takeover date. Both groups were delivered to and were painted for Conrail.

Of the 24 Conrail SD70's that went to NS (numbers 2557-2580), NS 2574 is the last one remaining in Conrail blue.

Chris Toth
NSDash9.com
Also visit the NSDash9 facebook page