Railroad Forums 

• SD45-2's

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#364693  by mxdata

What happened to the CSX legal Gestapo on this one? If you list an old timetable or a manual on eBay that has a CSX logo on it, they are all over you with complaints about violation of their intellectual property rights. Maybe they don't care about actual theft?

#364745  by scottychaos

PRRGuy wrote:Has there been a case where builders plates have come off a loco with permission?
probably thousands of time..
when locos are rebuilt and the old plate is going to be replaced, and especially when locos are heading to scrap.

but the odds are still very good that if a plate is for sale on ebay, and the loco still exists, that the plate was stolen off the loco without permission.

Scot

#364788  by ExEMDLOCOTester

If the Choo Choo is scrapped then the last owner can dispose of the Builder plate as He/She wishes.

If someone peels it off without owner permission its theft.

#364838  by Nelson Bay

The rectangular EMD/GMLG Builder's Plate carried an EMD part # 105961132. This was for a plate that wasn't engraved. I know of rr'ers who ordered them for handouts for buddies, retirements etc.

#365342  by ExEMDLOCOTester

Nelson Bay wrote:The rectangular EMD/GMLG Builder's Plate carried an EMD part # 105961132. This was for a plate that wasn't engraved. I know of rr'ers who ordered them for handouts for buddies, retirements etc.
Was it totally blank, or was the wheel set engraved with something appropraite for the gift event?

Regardless it had to be a great gift !!!!

#365408  by Nelson Bay

As received from the EMD Parts Department the engraving spaces ( Model, Serial, Class, Date) were blank. Folks engraved whatever they wanted in the spaces or left them totally blank.

Yeah- made a neat gift.

#365491  by ExEMDLOCOTester

EMD coulda made some extra cash with an EDL....

#365611  by Nelson Bay

Huh?

#366182  by pdman

CSX logo nazis: that's a sign that there are too many attorneys in our society and have to look for something to do to justify their existence. As of last count there are over 800,000 of them in the U.S. That's one for every 375 of us civilians. A distorted emphasis in our society.

#369190  by ExEMDLOCOTester

ExEMDLOCOTester wrote:EMD coulda made some extra cash with an EDL....
EDL - Exception to Drawing List .... Options added to to a Basic locomotive, or in the case of the Builders plate, all the blanks filled in with whatever the buyer wants. :-D

#369250  by Nelson Bay

ExEMDLOCOTester wrote:
ExEMDLOCOTester wrote:EMD coulda made some extra cash with an EDL....
EDL - Exception to Drawing List .... Options added to to a Basic locomotive, or in the case of the Builders plate, all the blanks filled in with whatever the buyer wants. :-D
The buyer/buyers being the general public?

#369318  by ExEMDLOCOTester

Good Question !!!

I don't know if the GP can order anything from EMD.

#369355  by Nelson Bay

ExEMDLOCOTester wrote:Good Question !!!

They can't so I guess I go back to my "huh" of a few posts ago. How could EMD make extra cash on this?

#370326  by ExEMDLOCOTester

Nelson Bay wrote:
ExEMDLOCOTester wrote:Good Question !!!

They can't so I guess I go back to my "huh" of a few posts ago. How could EMD make extra cash on this?
If a business ordered it...

#370343  by Nelson Bay

ExEMDLOCOTester wrote:[If a business ordered it...
Yeah- OK,OK. If the business was an approved EMD customer, such as a railroad, they could have ordered as many as they wanted- as I said, several posts ago, it was in the EMD Replacement Parts Catalog-PN 10596132. If a railroad ordered 10,000 of these for handouts and EMD made a 20% profit on each the "extra cash" would have amounted to about 2K. Maybe this windfall would have prevented GM from dumping them???

BTW- An EDL is an "Engineering Drawing List". It's a modification to the BLS , the "Basic Locomotive Specification" for a given model, as you sorta said a few posts ago.