Railroad Forums 

• Salem Line gets $1.75MM from DRPA

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#177604  by CRB

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news ... 948640.htm
The Delaware River Port Authority yesterday approved giving $1.75 million in bridge-toll revenues toward the rehabilitation of an antiquated railroad line between Swedesboro and Salem.

The 17-mile line is in such poor condition that it cannot carry the load of most other railroads. Derailments are common, and the ride is too rocky to transport finished products, forcing more trucks onto county roads, said Deborah Turner-Fox, the county's clerk of the board and administrator.

One mile of track already has been rehabilitated, and the project should be completed in about three years, Turner-Fox said.

#177807  by kevikens

The newspaper article mentions passenger service. What kind of passenger service would operate on this line ?

#177815  by njt4172

kevikens wrote:The newspaper article mentions passenger service. What kind of passenger service would operate on this line ?
Yes, it probably won't happen for another 2 or 3 years, but I talked to someone who works for the SRRofNJ and he said tourist passenger trains would probably run into and out of Salem, NJ with the F7's....

Steve

#177852  by kevikens

Now that I think about this I think somebody tried this about 15 years ago going to and from some resturant as a kind of dinner trains. I think the passenger coaches were D&L mu's painted tuscan red but I can't recall if they were pulled by F units.

#177857  by chuchubob

I don't remember how long ago, but the West Jersey Chapter-NRHS chartered a Budd RDC for a lunch train from Salem to Woodstown. The restaurant was on Route 40 where the railroad crosses at grade.

#177938  by CRB

I seem to recall an excursion train that ran on the weekends leaving from next to La Vitas in Woodstown. This would have been maybe 15 years ago.