Railroad Forums 

• Salem & Lowell West Peabody Rail Yard

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#1605749  by tom18287

Was just looking at "West peabody junction" on historical aerials and noticed what looks like a rail yard just west of the junction. does anyone have any info on this?

does anyone have an pics of west peabody junction? obviously there was a diamond, but there mustve been a wye as well?
 #1605760  by highrail

I have not seen a photo of a yard, but I have a photo of the old station at the junction that I got at a train show. It was likely at the location of the diamond, the remnants of which were still in the weeds several years ago. I looked through Ron Karr's Lost Railroads of New England and his other book, Rail Lines of Southern New England. I found references to the line, but not any yards. I would bet that the B&M Historical Society might be a good source: https://www.bmrrhs.org/

Steve
 #1609099  by jbvb

In 1968, West Peabody's only connection was in the south quadrant, allowing through moves between Wakefield Jct. and Peabody/Salem without reversing. This had been the route of the High Car Job until 1958. The manual interlocking was still in service. I think the Salem & Lowell track between Peabody and West Peabody was still intact at that time, at least rails remained in Rt. 1 pavement at the lower grade crossing. I doubt any trains had gone the whole length in years.
 #1610177  by jbvb

I recall the area being flat and somewhat marshy. I don't remember seeing empty embankments for removed connections, but I wasn't even a teenager in 1968. There wouldn't have been much reason for moves from Wilmington Jct. to Wakefield Jct. or Danvers, or between Danvers and Peabody Sq. via West Peabody.
 #1612390  by tom18287

upon a little further investigation (wikipedia lol)

in 1905 a company called "essex trap rock and construction company" opened up on the line in peabody. I am guessing this was probably their location. probably a cool place to explore in person.