Railroad Forums 

• Sale of Retired Locomotives

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1226007  by blockline4180

GP40MC 1116 wrote:Under NJ Transit's Procurement section of its website is lists a "Sale of Retired Locomotives" Curious if anyone has an idea on what type of locomotives are being sold, how many and what type
Most likely F40's, GP40FH's and some GP40PH's.
 #1231521  by ryanov

Aren't the F40' s the newest diesels NJT owns apart from the PL42's?
 #1233238  by ns3010

The scrap award for the "Sale of Retired Locomotives" has been to C&K Scrap Metal of Newark for $264,600. No further information available at this time.
 #1257895  by BigDell

MANUFACTURER: EMD
YEAR BUILT: 0
ROAD NUMBER: 4141
LOW OR HIGH NOSE: LOW
ENGINE MODEL: 16-645E3
HORSE POWER:
GENERATOR: AR10
AUXILIARY GENERATOR: 18kw
AIR COMPRESSOR:
DYNAMIC BRAKING: NO
AIR BRAKE TYPE: 26L
TRACTION MOTORS: Rebuilt D77
WHEEL TREAD THICKNESS:
MULTIPLE UNIT: NO
ELECTRICAL CABINETS:
EXTENDED RANGE: NO
DITCH LIGHTS: YES
I should bid on 4141 and restore it to .... Morrison Knudsen colors? Wait - that's for the nonsense thread. But - it's interesting to see there are a bunch for sale! I wonder who/if they will be picked up/leased? I'll be curious to see if and where these end up.....
 #1260018  by james1787

BigDell wrote: I should bid on 4141 and restore it to .... Morrison Knudsen colors? Wait - that's for the nonsense thread. But - it's interesting to see there are a bunch for sale! I wonder who/if they will be picked up/leased? I'll be curious to see if and where these end up.....
I wonder if I could bid on one to use one as one heck of a backup generator for the house.. just park it in the driveway? :-D

That's probably another post for the nonsense thread..

I would think there would be plenty of interest if they're in good shape?
 #1260064  by Ken W2KB

james1787 wrote:
BigDell wrote: I should bid on 4141 and restore it to .... Morrison Knudsen colors? Wait - that's for the nonsense thread. But - it's interesting to see there are a bunch for sale! I wonder who/if they will be picked up/leased? I'll be curious to see if and where these end up.....
I wonder if I could bid on one to use one as one heck of a backup generator for the house.. just park it in the driveway? :-D

That's probably another post for the nonsense thread..

I would think there would be plenty of interest if they're in good shape?
Back some 15 years or so ago after a severe ice storm with massive electric transmission damage in Canada at least one engine was driven a 1,000 feet or so down a city street to the government building for power. If it started to turn the lead truck was pushed with a backhoe or similar if I recall correctly, to get it going correctly.
 #1262609  by kilroy

The Reading T-1's saw service as portable steam genreators after being retired from the active roster so it'really nothing new.
 #1262788  by nick11a

DutchRailnut wrote:here is picture of event http://cnlines.ca/CNcyclopedia/loco/mlw/img_3502.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cool. I had forgotten about that. Thanks for jogging the memory.