Railroad Forums 

• Runaway Stack car on River Line, Sunday 5/29

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#132345  by rcbsd45

Here's the scoop on the runaway car/collision at CP-5... The previous evening(sat 5/28), a northbound stack train got a "hit" on the high car detector at MP-7(just south of the Rte 80 overpass), and stopped their train between CP-7 and 10. the car was then set out( after a visual inspection confirmed the car was indeed in excess of normal clearances) off of track 1 (the former controlled siding between CP 7 and 10 until the tracks were reconfigured a few years ago) into a siding located between MP 8 and MP 9. The train then was reassembled and continued north. Apparently the containers in the one well of this five bucket stack car were not seated properly, and the alarm was triggered.
Sunday afternoon/evening a yard crew came up to pick up the car and bring it back to either north Bergen or Little ferry where the necessary adjustments would be made. The picked up the car and set itb out on track 1. They then went north to CP-10, and then reversed down track 2 from CP-10 to CP-5 where they crossed back over to track 1. the intention was to run around the car, grab it from the south end, and then pull it south. Some time during this move, the car started to roll south. It should be noted that there is a pretty decent grade from MP 6.5(Mt Vernon St, Ridgefield Park) to approx MP 9.6, where Rte 4 goes overhead. the car rolled over two crossings, (Ft lee Rd pedestrian crossing and Mt Vernon Street) past signal 7S, into the interlocking at CP-5, and right into the north unit of the two units the yard crew was using to make the run around move. impact was estimated at near or above 25 MPH. The south end of the stack which struck the locomotive(HLCX 6090, now buried in North bergen) was heavily damaged, and the locomotive involved also took a beating. Fortunately no one was hurt, and an investigation is still ongoing. As ther locals in Teaneck are at odds with the railroad, and there has been vandlaism against trains in the past up there, plus given the crerw's experience, there are those who tend to think that vandalism had a large part to play in this. as noted, an investigation is ongoing, but most importantly, no one was hurt.
 #132412  by Lackawanna484

rcbsd45 wrote:but most importantly, no one was hurt.
That's good to hear.

These crossings are signalled for higher speed operation (45mph?), so I'm assuming gates came down in plenty of time to allow the runaway to clear.

#132569  by sullivan1985

Thats really creepy. I've been reading about the ongoing war with CSX on the River Line with locals and would not be the least bit suprised if it was vandalism.

#132803  by cjvrr

The car is currently sitting of the rail north of Bergen Turnpike(?) and south of the Route 46 overpass. Saw it last night (6/1) on my way home from work.

#132821  by Sirsonic

Trainlawyer wrote:The other explanation that comes quickly to mind is that the crew did not set a hand brake or relied on bottled air when the car was either not fully charged or had a leak in the brake system.

If it was vandalism what would the union's position be on a civil action against the vandals on behalf of the crew?
Im sure CSX will have a through "fair and imparital" investigation for the crew involved, and try to find some way to pass blame onto them for what happened, regardless if they were at fault in any way.

Were the vandals to be found, unlikely at best, I dont know what the position of their union would be towards any sort of civil action. Most likely, any action would be against CSX, as it is their responsiblity to provide a safe workplace, and if they are aware of a trouble spot on the RR, they should devote more attention to patroling that area.

Of course, the whole point is moot, as nobody was injured, and therefore other than being shook up, the crew has suffered no loss to recover from the vandals.

I dont know if CSX will seek any money damages, but if they were to find the vandals in this case, I would imagine they would like to see them prosecuted for their actions.

#169909  by Steve F45

Wow, i know its been months but i have always wondered what that 1 car was doing sitting on the side of the tracks like that.