• Rumors, rumors, rumors...

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by roberttosh

I will say this folks...... if I've ever believed a rumor about the ST, it's the one I'm hearing now:

All or part of the old B&M going to the NS on or about Jan 15, 2006. This has come from some VERY reliable sources. I've been fooled before, we'll see............
  by SPACEMONKEY

The NS has been visiting the RR in N. Billerica for just over 6 months now working out a deal to buy the RR. The NS rumor IS true but the time frame is hard to pin point but it's coming fast. The layoffs that hit on Jan 1 are all part of the plan. Those that are union and still there will be either offered severance packages for staying until NS workers are brought into the mix or offered management jobs, either way if you work there now and are offered anything be thankful, many more are going to be out of work soon....NS is coming to town and they want loyal NS blood in control and in the field.

by MikeB

So what major changes will occur if this actually happens?
  by Noel Weaver

I have been through my share of mergers, splits, takeovers etc and the
normal proceedure for operating employees is for the take over company
which in this case is NS to put up notices offering existing employees the
opportunity to go with the taking over company. Generally the merger
agreement(s) are handled with the unions involved and the existing
employees are protected at least in some respects.
I can't possibly see the NS taking over the B & M and not retaining the
present employees, at least the ones who belong to the union.
Noel Weaver

by johnpbarlow

NS takeover of the B&M would be great news for the shippers of New England but I would be surprised if it were executed within the next 2 weeks. Perhaps it will be done the same way that NS and KCS got together on the Meridian Speedway: NS puts up $$ to upgrade the plant and gets a share of ownership with GRS. Also, I don't think CSX will accede to NS owning the ex-B&M east of Ayer to Rigby.

by roberttosh

The Jan 15th date would be the announcement date I presume, but not the likely statup date. I'm hearing NS would get to Ayer/Lowell, with some kind of rights up to the Bow power plant. CSXT would still connect with the ST for Maine traffic.

by octr202

Out of curiosity, just how much traffic is there west of Ayer/Lowell that doesn't originate further east (NH and Maine)? I'm trying to figure out just what reason NS would have for buying a part of GRS, that would become an isolated section of main line, while the (to my admitedly not good knowledge) majority of the traffic would still originate on GRS. To me, it seems like a bizarre purchase -- more railroad to maintain and operate, but GRS is still in the picture between you and the customer -- doesn't seem to fit with the logic that they are unhappy with GRS's performance as a railroad and would rather do it themselves.

by johnpbarlow

THere's a daily pair of intermodal trains and a daily pair of manifest trains going to NS/CP. Plus a few coal trains/week. NS would get access to a decent sized class yard at E Deerfield, which they don't have in the NE corner of their current system. I'm guessing NS sees an opportunity to add intermodal traffic (CSX runs at least 3 pairs of intermodal trains most days) and manifest traffic. Plus NS should get better interchange with NECR and P&W than they have today. GRS crossing of the Berkshires is 400 ft lower than CSX so in some sense it has the potential to be a better gateway to/from New England at least for bulk commodities (eg, coal, trash, debris).

by CN9634

wowo!! So how far East are they expected to run and will we see an NS stuff in Maine? Also is the recent upgrading of the Hoosic Tunnel part of this? (IE funds came from NS?) More details please! haha besides that if this is 100 true then Awesome news! :-D

by roberttosh

NS is most interested in getting to Ayer for Intermodal and Auto traffic. CSXT has 5 or so roundtrip Intermodal trains and 2 roundtrip Auto trains a day into New Engalnd, while the NS only does one pair of Intermodal trains with the ST. If NS upgraded the old B&M, there's no reason why they couldn't grab much more of this business. There's also the big Cargill Grain mill at Ayer, Cement and Plastics out at Fitchburg/Leominster as well as alot of other pretty significant customers in that area and don't forget there's alot of other potential business to win back and also plenty of land for industrial development, which CSXT does not have. I also bet they'd put a big bulk transload yard up at Ayer as well. Lastly, as someone else mentioned, they'd gain direct connections with the VRS, NECR and PW. I could see the old Fitchburgh easily handling 12+ trains a day under NS ownership.

by Cowford

Tosh man. Unbelievable! I have my fingers crossed. So, GRS will keep what... LA east??? C.H.A.B.! :P
  by Agent at Clicquot

If NS was running the B&M, might traffic flows shift enough to warrant putting the Fitchburg Secondary back in service?

* JB *

by MEC407

This rumor has come up every year for at least the last 10 years. Sometimes two or three times a year. It always comes from "a very reliable source."

And yet, it's never been true.

Why should this time be any different?

by roberttosh

I can't guarantee anything to you, but I will say, things have happened over the past month at the ST that never happened before, things that are very telling and point to major changes ahead.

In some ways I'm as pessimsitic as you, but again, I've been around a long time and if it's going to happen in our lifetime, its's coming soon.

Cow, what's happening? Give me a call soon, I have some good stories for you, CHAB indeed!
  by pw3901

And You Just :P Mite....? See The NS Interchange AutoRacks In Gardner With The P&W, NS/GRS Is Going To Be One Of The Connecting RR's, For The P&W At Gardner. Locations For AutoRacks On The P&W Will Be In Worcester & In Davisville,RI. But Lets See On How It Plays Itself Out. Hopefully For The Best. Time Will Tell. PW3901.