• Rumors, rumors, rumors...

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by NaugMOW

Well everyone, less then 24 hours until Norfolk Southern buys the B&M!!! :wink: And it's being announced on a sunday!!

What a joke...
  by trainsinmaine

Don't be so sure about that. I saw a long double-engined NS freight pulling through Gardner on the Fitchburg main this past Monday. I did a double take.

by MEC407

I saw lots of freights pulled by CSX engines in southern Maine this past summer. Doesn't mean CSX is buying the B&M.
  by NaugMOW

trainsinmaine wrote:Don't be so sure about that. I saw a long double-engined NS freight pulling through Gardner on the Fitchburg main this past Monday. I did a double take.
Foreign power, the reason GRS typically owes quite a few horsepower hours to NS and CSX....

by NellsChoo

NS power is very often seen on Guilford's Fitchburg route... and beyond! Also CSX, CP, SOO, sometimes even BNSF or UP!

So while I am still doubting the buy, we shall see what happens tomorrow! :wink:

by NaugMOW

I know this is totally off subject but, Nels, I just realized that you're the owner of Train-sim/Flight-sim.com. I've seen your name on Train-sim and that you've always created new england related paint schemes for MSTS, but I never realized that its the same person...

Sorry, off topic, I know, but I had to say something.

-Chad

by l008com

I heard NS was going to start running trains back through woburn square again....

And if you are lucky enough to live on cross street, you get to have trains run THROUGH your new condo ;-)

Well it seems that NS buying the B&M would mean more trains and more train customers. Seeing as how I think thats a good thing, I sure hope this rumor is true. While i'm dreaming of more trains, are there any other potential customers on the watertown branch? Maybe if they can squeeze another customer or two out of that branch, they could justify spending a little money on the tracks.

How does shipping via truck in this area compare to shipping via rail. A watertown branch thread at one point said truck was 4x cheaper. Is this true? That seems very extreme, but if it was true, it seems like all NS would have to do is BE WILLING to service customers, to get lots of these former customers back.

Sometimes I wonder if we're really all just a bunch of lunatics, and just don't realize it.

by NellsChoo

chadb9 wrote:I know this is totally off subject but, Nels, I just realized that you're the owner of Train-sim/Flight-sim.com. I've seen your name on Train-sim and that you've always created new england related paint schemes for MSTS, but I never realized that its the same person...

Sorry, off topic, I know, but I had to say something.

-Chad
No, I am not. I have been "Nells" for a long time, and have had many screen names as such since 1999. So I don't know who your "nells" is. But it isn't me. Sorry... :(

JoNELLe :wink:
  by SPACEMONKEY

Where is the NS? well one thing is FOR SURE- The Guilford Rail road police are gone!! the layoffs hit on January one just like someone said. No more protection for the freight, property OR employees.
  by MEC407

SPACEMONKEY wrote:Where is the NS? well one thing is FOR SURE- The Guilford Rail road police are gone!! the layoffs hit on January one just like someone said. No more protection for the freight, property OR employees.
Are you sure that the RR PD is "gone"? I've heard that some officers were laid off, but I haven't heard anything about the department being completely eliminated.

by NaugMOW

7 of the 16 positions on the B&M PD were cut.

-Chad

by l008com

I was thinking about this earlier. Rather than pay police to chase not jobs like us out of places like iron horse park (when all we want to do is watch) why not make something like a paved bike path that goes right through the middle of the park, put a fence around it, and there you go, we are safe, they are safe, they no longer have to chase us out, everyone wins. Thought i know, guilford spends money on nothing, not even things they need, never-mind things like this. Still thought, i bet NS would do it :-P
(not really)
  by Derailthis

I have checked the threads all day and still I have not heard the big annoucement of the NS purchase. Anyone have any new information on this?

SPACEMONKEY, what's your info on this now?

by NellsChoo

Nothing on the NS site, Guilford site, or Trains.com newswire... looking like another rumor so far...

by MEC407

NellsChoo wrote:Nothing on the NS site, Guilford site, or Trains.com newswire... looking like another rumor so far...
There's a shock! LOL :-D