• Rumor: PAR to lease SD40-2s?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by CN9634

Rumor has it the next big rumor is coming around soon :wink:
But seriously, take it with a grain of salt
  by CBass1307

rjones2 wrote:Here is a picture that I found earlier today, just to add some fuel to the rumors.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 32&nseq=69
From the picture caption: "60 BNSF SD40-2s have been sent from North Dakota, Minneapolis, and Topeka to the BRC for forwarding to whoever their new owners are. You'll probably seem them again, only as lease units."

The number went from 10 to 20 now 60

by outinindiana

And the date on the photo is April 20, taken in Illinois -- that was almost two weeks ago. Where did 60 (60!) units go? Only 11 are in this photo, however

by masscoastalfan

railpace claims that they are getting 10 units

by MEC407

The photo caption says that 60 units from various parts of the BNSF system have been sent to BRC for forwarding to new owners. Nowhere in the caption did it say that all 60 units are going to one customer, and nowhere in the caption did it say anything about Pan Am being "the" customer.

Let's not read too much into one photo or one caption!

by newpylong

masscoastalfan wrote:railpace claims that they are getting 10 units
And we all know how accurate they ususally are with the rumors :)

by CN9634

Just some fuel for the fire before I say this there is NO connection between this and Pan Am Railways but Union Pacific is reported to be hosting an auction on June 3rd for CNW SD40-2's so who knows right :wink:

by Skullitor

10 ex Burlington Northern units might help "THE BOSS" recover quicker!
I have been told the 10 SD40-2's have been way billed to PanAm and are HELM Units.So far nobody has seen them yet.Are they going to be painted for PanAm?or whatever?

by guilfordrailfan

Skullitor wrote:10 ex Burlington Northern units might help "THE BOSS" recover quicker!
I have been told the 10 SD40-2's have been way billed to PanAm and are HELM Units.So far nobody has seen them yet.Are they going to be painted for PanAm?or whatever?
So, just when everybody seemed to think the SD40-2 lease was a dead issue, you're saying it's still on and happening?

BTW, I'm for anything that will help "THE BOSS" recover quicker! :-)

by Skullitor

guilfordrailfan wrote:
Skullitor wrote:10 ex Burlington Northern units might help "THE BOSS" recover quicker!
So, just when everybody seemed to think the SD40-2 lease was a dead issue, you're saying it's still on and happening?

BTW, I'm for anything that will help "THE BOSS" recover quicker! :-)
This was told to me by a source in PanAm Management.So all we can do is wait,I guess. :wink:

by thebigham

Why would PAR paint lease units??

by MEC407

thebigham wrote:Why would PAR paint lease units??
They probably wouldn't... unless the units were being purchased rather than leased. Helm does sell units outright in addition to leasing them. PAR's 500-series units, for instance, were purchased from Helm.

by Skullitor

MEC407 wrote:
thebigham wrote:Why would PAR paint lease units??
They probably wouldn't... unless the units were being purchased rather than leased. Helm does sell units outright in addition to leasing them. PAR's 500-series units, for instance, were purchased from Helm.
I was thinking their being painted in the new "PanAm Southern " Livery?
Say by NS? :wink: Where do they paint? Juniatta?(spelling ?)

by MEC407

That is a possibility. NS does complete locomotive overhaul and rebuilding at Juniata, including painting. In fact, they've done rebuilds and repaints for quite a few other railroads, including Amtrak. They do a very good job there.