• Rumor: PAR to lease SD40-2s?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by newpylong

ShortlinesUSA wrote:I was figuring the poster from Loconotes might reply, since I thought he was a member here. They are reported to be HLCX units in the 6200-6400 series.
Aint gonna happen.

by ShortlinesUSA

How about some ex BNSF SD40-2s from Northtown, then? ;-)
  by guilfordrailfan

ShortlinesUSA wrote:How about some ex BNSF SD40-2s from Northtown, then? ;-)
Is there anything more solid than conjecture and speculation as to whether or not Pan Am will get more locomotives? It sure "seems like" something might be happening. But I'd rather be able to say I "know" something is happening...

by MEC407

All I've heard so far is "I heard from someone..." or "rumor has it..." or "so-and-so overheard this from so-and-so..."

So, to answer your question:
Is there anything more solid than conjecture and speculation...
At this point I would have to say "no."

I know that NV290 will heartily disagree with me on that, since he has a reliable source that is apparently more reliable than everybody else's reliable sources... :P

by CN9634

loconotes rumor reports PAR was at Northtown looking at BNSF SD40-2's

by MEC407

CN9634 wrote:
loconotes rumor reports PAR was at Northtown looking at BNSF SD40-2's
I saw that post on LocoNotes. All it said was "Word on the street is that someone from PAR was at Northtown..." and then it went on to say, "Can anyone confirm or deny that this actually happened?" to which there has been no response as of yet.

Nothing more than a rumor about a rumor, I'm afraid.
  by GP40MC1118

Well I would not have posted that to LocoNotes, if I didn't
think it was credible information. Especially since there
were specific numbers involved. All those units show
into the St.Louis/KC area this February. Whether they
went to Metro-East Industries or another rebuilder in
KC (Mid-Car?), I do not know.

Perhaps the deal fell through. Maybe looking at other
units. Who knows. I guess we'll just have to see.

D

by CN9634

Well I know something we can all agree on. That is that PAR is power short and further more they ARE doing something about it as seen with the NS GP38-2s

by cpf354

Sounds like they could be just "shopping" for six axles. If they can't find a "deal", they'll just move on. :-)

by Amtrak700

I never believe anything til I see it, BUT, my cousin who works for PAR, called me today and did say that they are to lease 10 BNSF SD-40-2's that are currently stored in Northtown yard. They will be assigned to the West end. If I get anymore definite info, Ill post it!

by MEC407

roberttosh wrote:NV290, ... it's you that will get the last laugh when the announcement is made shortly.
So... about that announcement that was going to be made in January... oops, I mean February... oh, sorry, it was April... wait, today's May 1... that announcement was today, right?

We're all waiting...
roberttosh wrote:Most of the people on this forum are strictly just railfans and are completely uninformed when it comes to what goes on in North Billerica...
We mustn't forget the members of the forum who work for the railroad and whose favorite pastime is making up stories.
mick wrote:Everyone loves a good rumor, it's the favorite pastime of many where I work.
Clearly. But hey, whatever floats your boat. Everybody needs a hobby of some kind.

by roberttosh

MEC407 wrote:
roberttosh wrote:NV290, ... it's you that will get the last laugh when the announcement is made shortly.
So... about that announcement that was going to be made in January... oops, I mean February... oh, sorry, it was April... wait, today's May 1... that announcement was today, right?
....and just when did I say it would be May 1st? You really shouldn't make stuff up.

by MEC407

roberttosh wrote: ....and just when did I say it would be May 1st? You really shouldn't make stuff up.
You didn't say May 1, someone else did... someone with "reliable sources" of course... but you did say "any day now" and that was back in early January (in regards to some other potential big announcement unrelated to the alleged SD40-2s).
  by guilfordrailfan

MEC407 wrote:
roberttosh wrote: ....and just when did I say it would be May 1st? You really shouldn't make stuff up.
You didn't say May 1, someone else did... someone with "reliable sources" of course... but you did say "any day now" and that was back in early January (in regards to some other potential big announcement unrelated to the alleged SD40-2s).

I agree it is disappointing when dates of supposed "big announcements" come and go with nothing happening. But... rumors are just that - rumors. And anything that is reported before it happens or is officially announced, is just a rumor, no matter how reliable the source might be. Having said that, I think railroad rumors are fun, as long as they aren't damaging to either people or companies. So IMHO, lets not discourage anyone from posting the things they hear!

Not to start another rumor or anything, but I have heard that a brand new (different) Pan Am paint scheme was released from Waterville yesterday.

by pablo

People that love to do this rumor mongering garbage (and roberttosh is one of them, regardless of his/her protests) should have the thread locked and/or deleted, unless we delight in seeing just how little credibility they have left at this point.

That alone is fun, so MEC407 (quite a capable and knowledgeable person himself) can do as he wants. He knows what he's doing...but geez, no other railroad brings out the crazies like Guilford/Pan-Am.

Dave Becker