Railroad Forums 

• RUMOR: Norfolk Southern buying D&H

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #276349  by trevor macpherson

Ive heard this several times but this time it seems more realistic. Because NS wants to reopen the Mechanicville yard. Why? Thats a CP yard......this is a e-mail i got sent from a friend of mine.....and I definetly go along with him.......

Of course you have read 'rumours' of a CPR takeover. And by the UP, perhaps. I think UP would deal off D&H to NS. The NS NEEDS it. (It may be a clause in the CP/NS contract for running over the D&H as it is, who knows?)
CPR did not make a lot of money off the D&H line because of maintenance and actually, very few trains. Line is under-utilized. (Not much money is made on NS trains over the line (930/931/168/169.) These all have trackage rights over D&H and have NS crews.....Doesn't leave much left.
BUT....if you really want to get into the subject; I'm assuming you don't; I'm just giving you something to think about....................CP pleads the line is a money-loser, closing yards, cutting jobs and generally crying the blues...maybe looking for NY State tax relief?? But the CPR helps MAKE the D&H look like a loser...............notice the high-maintenance (costly) old locomotives that are very fuel INefficient are assigned to this line; CP shuffles all the junk power down to the D&H........costly breakdowns charged to D&H as well as the problems that go with it; ie) recrewing, late delivery; trains held up all over the place...........all of this costs far more than it does per trip/miles/whatever than it does in Canada and this makes the D&H look a lot worse than it really is. So gives the CPR a good excuse when they try to deal it off. You may note on reason why on-line traffic has dried up is because shippers get overly annoyed at changes, delays and the like and end up going back to trucks.
I LOVE railfanning the D&H..............all the old power that is mostly gone from mainline Canada is found down here; at least it was, finally the RR is bringing in some of the new ACs etc., in former years I loved the lashups. In Canada, 2 or 3 locos, down on the D&H; 4,6,7 or even 8 old units make for a much more entertaining photo.

#276414  by pablo

Trevor, perhaps you should look at the archive for all the times that this topic has come up again and again and again....

Dave Becker
 #276456  by trevor macpherson

I dont see any. Thats why I posted this.

#276508  by Wanderer

This is like a bad urban legend. It surfaces every few years. I doubt there is any more truth to it now than there has ever been. Also keep in mind that D&H, STLH, whatever you want to call it, is now integrated into Canadian Pacific.

#276557  by sallenparks

You know the thing that bothers me is that NW had both the D&H and the EL and did nothing for either I know I know NS is alot different then the NW but Southern Gentleman their not if D&H was to be sold try NYS&W or P&W someone who will try to better the old bridgeline.

#279312  by johnpbarlow

More grist for the rumor mill:

D&H Yardmasters ratify 3 year agreement with CP. I don't want to be too provocative but the terms of this deal seem to be contrary to what management ordinarily seeks in terms of cost control and reduction (ie, elimination of new hire entry rates):

Excerpt From Progessive Railroading (http://www.progressiverailroading.com/f ... sp?id=9289):

"...Retroactive to Dec. 31, 2005, and expiring Dec. 31, 2008, the pact calls for annual general wage increases and establishes a performance plan that could further increase yardmasters’ pay up to 5 percent annually.

The contract also eliminates new hires’ entry rates, enhances 401(k) plans and guarantees workers a separation allowance if the Delaware & Hudson is sold or leased by parent Canadian Pacific Railway, and the Surface Transportation Board does not require labor protection as a transactional condition...."

I don't know how many yardmasters D&H has left (E Binghamton, Kenwood, Taylor?) so maybe the concessions aren't that big a deal. But is CP prepping a D&H exit strategy? grist for the rumor mill: