Railroad Forums 

• RR Station near Kennebec River Trestle ?

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#798835  by 3rdrail

Hi guys ! I was having a discussion with my son recently. We were talking about a trip that we took some years ago when we camped in Maine, heading home via Rte. 3 to 95 South, and on the way puttering around what I recently discovered was Augusta, Maine. We saw an elevated section there that led to the Kennebec River Bridge off Water St., and it looked like the area just before the bridge may have been a railroad area of some sort. Does anybody know the history of the area that I'm talking about ? I'm sure by the condition of the trestle that it's no longer used (unless a new one went up in the meantime) and we wondered if that could have been the downtown area's Maine Central Railroad Station at one time. It certainly must have been impressive to see a steamer come up over that trestle work onto the bridge back in the day ! Here's a recent pic from NERAIL. Thanks to Bernard Cole II for use of the excellent photo.
http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=161581
 #799028  by wolfmom69

The area that you are mentioning was the site of the old Edwards Textile Mills(a bit of the structures remain). There were spurs off the double tracked mainline on both sides of Water street, about where the underpass is.

This would account for what you saw. Also, on the "land side" of Water St., the Androscoggin and Kennebec Electric Railroad, had a freight house literally perched on the side of the hill-but there was no physical connection with the Maine Central there, interchange being handled in Bath, Sabbatus, and Lewiston.

Hope this helps some,
Bud
 #799208  by 3rdrail

It does. Thanks, Bud ! Would you by chance know where the Augusta train station was ? I'd like to look it up on Bing, to see what's there now.
 #799219  by Mikejf

If you google the intersection of Water and Green St., the rails are now covered with gravel on the ruiverside of the intersection. The Station was off Water St, opposite side of the river, where a big parkiinglot is there now. the platform went under the water St bridge, about halfway to route 202 bridge.
Mike
 #799258  by 3rdrail

Yup, I see it. Thanks, Mike !