Railroad Forums 

• RR Equip/Ice Cream Shop Searsport for sale

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#1286898  by RGlueck

The "Ice Cream Depot" on Rt. 1, Searsport, Maine is closed and for sale this season. I mention it here because of the strong RR theme of the building and location, plus the former MEC Ingersoll-Rand motor car on the property, turned into a burger and fries kitchen. The owners also have a shelled out B&M transfer caboose sitting just north of the "ICD" that has been for sale for a few years now.

Dick
 #1287127  by MEC407

Thanks for the info, Dick. Do you happen to know how long the Ice Cream Depot was in business? I think I remember driving past it during trips to MDI years ago, but I might be thinking of something else.
 #1288482  by RGlueck

Peter's correct about the history of the building. How long it was open, I can't say. I do know they heavily invested in upgrading the theme over the past few years, and perhaps that didn't go well against he seasonal business. It's always had customers, and the interior is nicely laid out. I always found the prices to be just a bit high, but I'm a notorious cheapskate in any event! The asking price for the B&M transfer caboose was $8,000, last time I checked. The caboose is stripped, repaired and 100% primed. At one time it had suffered a fire, but as I said, structurally she's good. There are no trucks under her, and none on the property. With trucks, the caboose would make a terrific piece for a restoration.
 #1288683  by RGlueck

If it is, it's an old shot. Today, the building sits right on Rt. 1, north of Searsport village, and has a paved parking lot, well restored, and the former MEC railcar out front. There are photos of it online.