Railroad Forums 

• Rowe St. Station, Bloomfield

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #157008  by NJ Vike

While I haven't been to this area in Bloomfield in many years, I took a trip to see the remains of Rowe St. I noticed the NS No Trespassing sign and was wondering what customers does NS have on this line?

I remember following the line to Verona Avenue and thought they were taking the tracks out. Is this still happening?

This was the NY&GL division correct? I know once side is the Orange Branch which went to West Orange and served many customers in the 50s and 60s. I also believed they offered passenger service prior to the 50s.
 #162848  by njt4172

NJ Vike wrote:While I haven't been to this area in Bloomfield in many years, I took a trip to see the remains of Rowe St. I noticed the NS No Trespassing sign and was wondering what customers does NS have on this line?

I remember following the line to Verona Avenue and thought they were taking the tracks out. Is this still happening?

This was the NY&GL division correct? I know once side is the Orange Branch which went to West Orange and served many customers in the 50s and 60s. I also believed they offered passenger service prior to the 50s.
NJVike,

How you doing?? The only customer that NS still serves east of Rowe Street is Hartz Mountain which is located on the old Orange Branch spur in Bloomfield....If you ever want to photograph from the former station you would have to get lucky as the local is very sporadic.... Taking videos would probably be better as the local usually works Hartz in darkness.....

Steve

#163512  by NJ Vike

Steve,

Thanks for the reply. Yea, I kind of assumed that Hartz Mountain may have been their lone customer as there aren't too many businesses in the area that could use train service.

I originally had heard that NS only ran during the late evening or early morning for service but after speaking to owners of several businesses in the area, NS has come through in the mid-morning; one time the gates got stuck right there on Bloomfield Avenue. I also have learned that they come in about three times a month or almost once a week and it's usually on Fridays.