Railroad Forums 

• Route 15 should come out of Elmwood Division instead.

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#72774  by braves

Until the problem with the parking issues along 59th St is resolved, run Route 15 out of Elmwood Division, why won't SEPTA do that instead.

And any news to report on Route 15 light rail issues & when it will return to light rail.

DON'T DELETE THIS MESSAGE, LET PEOPLE POST A REPLAY IF THEY HAVE ANY INFORMATION. THANK YOU.

#72828  by mannynews

I really want to see the refurb PCC's running too...but running from Elmwood just is not a good idea.

Over the existing connections between Girard Avenue and Elmwood....it would take TOO long to get from Depot to the Beginning of the Route...at least 30 minutes.

Let's try to solve the real problem at 59th street instead of costing SEPTA more in the long run

#72840  by Umblehoon

mannynews wrote:Over the existing connections between Girard Avenue and Elmwood....it would take TOO long to get from Depot to the Beginning of the Route...at least 30 minutes.
A commonly-cited problem. Yet the obvious solution is not mentioned all that often -- change the freakin' route! Start from Elmwood, travel on up to the existing 15 route, then turn east. All revenue-producing time. I don't consider this the best solution, or even second best... but I'm getting tired of people overlooking the obvious when complaining about a suggestion to start getting a return on our investment.
 #73078  by Matthew Mitchell

braves wrote:Until the problem with the parking issues along 59th St is resolved, run Route 15 out of Elmwood Division, why won't SEPTA do that instead.
Because it would add a half million dollars or more in operating costs (counting the Route 10 pullouts too).

Now you might count those long pullouts as revenue service, but you aren't gonna get much real revenue.

#73090  by blueduck577

mannynews wrote:I really want to see the refurb PCC's running too...but running from Elmwood just is not a good idea.

Over the existing connections between Girard Avenue and Elmwood....it would take TOO long to get from Depot to the Beginning of the Route...at least 30 minutes.

Let's try to solve the real problem at 59th street instead of costing SEPTA more in the long run
frontier buses deadhead here to langhorne every day, which is about 45 minutes.
 #73227  by Umblehoon

Matthew Mitchell wrote:Now you might count those long pullouts as revenue service, but you aren't gonna get much real revenue.
Quite right, the revenue generated would not be anywhere near a useful amount, but it would help defray the costs of moving them between Elmwood and the 'real route'. Is it better, though, to temporarily run the trolleys from Elmwood in revenue service the whole way while the 59th St situation is corrected... or keep running just buses, letting our (quite large) investment collect dust & rust in Elmwood?

#73388  by SEPTALRV9072

Take it for what it's worth but I did see the PCC-IIs that are parked out in the yard at Elmwood on 26 and 25 tracks all with Rt 15 63rd Via Girard in their signs instead of their usual out of service aspects being moved around in the yard a bit.

#74565  by jfrey40535

Why not keep them at Woodland? Although guess SEPTA isn't "set up" to have employees work from there, and cars to be dispatched.