Railroad Forums 

• Roundhouse In Toronto?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#166246  by SimTrains

Hello,
I live in Buffalo, and this weekend I will be driving up to Toronto to see the Blue Jays vs. The Yankees, and I see that there seems to be some type of roundhouse near the stadium. Is it?? Or does it just look like one on the map?? Might it be some type of rail museum I was unaware of???

#166304  by stuart_iowa

it is a former cpr roundhouse, there is plans for a future railroad connection with the building, not sure what the details are, there was at one time a fleet stored inside the building not sure where they went or if still there
like every other rail fan wait and see, but do not get too excited. i am 35 almost 36 now and I have heard the plans and the stagging of plans talk now for 25 years

#236034  by va3ori

You might be interested to know that the Skydome - now officially the Rogers Centre - is built partly on the site of the former CNR roundhouse. When a competition was being held to name the new stadium, I and several others, I understand, submitted "The Roundhous" which both payed homage to the past use of the land and described the shape of the new building. Wasn't chosen!

Ori
va3xw

#236400  by W.E.Coyote

1/3 of the building is inhabited by a Brewery, while the rest has old RR equipment in it. It's always closed up so no luck at seeing any of the RR stuff (like the S2, GP7 or 9, a Baldwin switcher, etc.) It might be open for Doors Open Toronto around the last week of April however.

Some photos I found of it:
http://dand.rrpicturearchives.net/archi ... x?id=11327

#240117  by Dieter

I thought it was a CN Roundhouse. Time was when you looked down from the CN Tower from one place, you were staring straight down into the turntable pit.

Does the food at the top still suck? At least you can get a Molson.

Dieter/

#240144  by W.E.Coyote

That would've been CN's Spadina Roundhouse, which was demolished in the late 80's to make room for the "Skydome" (Rogers Centre, hah)

As for the tower, haven't been up there lately...