• Rockland Branch Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Ridgefielder

BandA wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:53 pm I've read about some refurbished RDC's having a door wide enough for a wheelchair. So I assume a stock RDC, with a stock bathroom, are not HP accessible.
Not 100% sure but I think the wheelchair-accessible ones are refurbished RDC-2s. The baggage door would clearly be wide enough for a wheelchair.
  by markhb

Trinnau wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:18 pm That determination was made as part of the transition into PTC and is no longer available, consider it a 1-time "grandfather" situation. The regs clearly state that any new commuter or intercity service that intends to start after Dec 31, 2020 requires PTC.
49 CFR 236.1005(b)(6) wrote: 236.1005 Requirements for Positive Train Control systems.
(b) PTC system installation -
(6) New rail passenger service. No new intercity or commuter rail passenger service shall commence after December 31, 2020, until a PTC system certified under this subpart has been installed and made operative.
Cool; thanks! Good to know.

But, thanks to your pointing me to the CFR title, I also found this section (236.1019) of exclusions that can be applied for:
49 CFR 236.1019(c) : Limited operations exception. FRA will consider an exception in the case of a track segment used for limited operations (operating in accordance with § 236.0 of this part) under one of the following sets of conditions: ...
49 CFR 236.1019(c)(2) : Passenger service is operated on a segment of track of a freight railroad that is not a Class I railroad on which less than 15 million gross tons of freight traffic is transported annually and on which one of the following conditions applies: (limit of 4 trains/day for unsignaled track, 12 trains/day for signaled track).
  by Cosakita18

Finger Lakes RR is taking over the Rockland branch effective in July with "Midcoast Rail Service"
They're still working with MaineDoT and NNEPRA on the Budd RDC passenger rail pilot.

https://knox.villagesoup.com/2022/06/28 ... l-service/

In regards to freight, How much volume is Dragon sending west nowadays? I'd been under the assumption that there would be a fairly substantial increase in westbound loads with the end of the Rockland shuttle / barge.
Doing a bit of quick math, it seemed like Dragon could be generating 10-15 westbound loads per day, but as of now CP is just working the branch 1-2 days a week.
  by NHV 669

2308 seen trailing on CSXT M426-16 tonight through Chester, MA:
  by NHV 669

M426 with the 2308 is still in Ayer as of 1130.

Edit: Passed Chelmsford at 14:45.
  by newpylong

The Rockland Branch recently had an usual move, they got a load of bait in a reefer from Seattle for a local fishing outfit up there. Anyone know where they unloaded it? Somewhere just south of the old Dragon barge rack maybe by the docks?
  by JBlaisdell

O'Hara deals in lobster bait, with menhaden being a bait fish. The menhaden season just hit its quota in Maine and it now is "imported."
  by newpylong

Thank you all for the info. That's awesome, sounds like they are being aggressive about getting some tonnage back. Hope that's not the last carload for them.

The article references Dragon stopping rail - don't they ship outbound cement loads by rail still despite the shuttle service to the barge dock stopping?
  by NHV 669

They've run WB twice within the last week, 10 or so cement cars on both trains.
  by NHV 669

JBlaisdell wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:07 pm They have started laying track into the new building next to US 1 in West Bath.
Apparently they're tying in the siding or preparing to, as there's a work crew fouling the branch at that spot this morning.

The customer is American Steel & Aluminum. Apparently a second reefer came in last week for the bait place, along with 27 other inbound cars.

Edit: the siding has apparently been tied in as of 4pm.
  by NHV 669

Eastbound through Wiscasset within the last half hour with 12 hoppers of pet coke. Dragon has apparently switched up their fuel source, and Midcoast Railservice has seized that opportunity for carloads. 9 more waiting to come east.

2310 apparently heading east to join 2308 as well.
  by NHV 669

23 more cars east out of Brunswick today, FGLK working some magic on this line....
  by newpylong

CSX M426 had a fish load today or yesterday, unknown if for Highline in Portsmouth or another bait load for Rockland.