Railroad Forums 

• Rock Island Geep 1329 1st and 2nd

• Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.
Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.

Moderator: Komachi

#1577595  by SSW921

This particular Geep has two serial numbers as it was wrecked and rebuilt early in its time on the Rock Island. I'm asking for information on the wreck and the type of rebuild completed by EMD. The first 1329 was a GP9 built by EMD as serial #25219 on order 5599 in April 1959. The second 1329 was a Geep? rebuilt by EMD as serial #26348 on repair order 8069 in November 1960. The second 1329 is described as having 1750 horsepower, some sites carry it as a GP9 and some as a GP18. Is there a separate Rock Island folio sheet on this second unit?

Ed in Kentucky
 #1578017  by BR&P

I don't have anything specific to offer. I'll offer the following as possibility and general information - if you're already aware of this , disregard.

Since this was a wreck repair it's logical that EMD used some parts from the original unit, and replaced what was destroyed. I'd speculate that they were in communication with Rock Island and went through a process not unlike when your car gets in an accident, deciding just how much should be spent on various facets of the repair and "as long as it's here and taken apart...." type stuff..

The GP9 was 1750 hp, and you say it was so listed afterward. That would suggest the re-use of the original 567-C prime mover. On the other hand, perhaps some of the replacement parts - electrical cabinet items maybe - might have been more modern than original and thus prompt some to consider it a GP-18.

Again - that's speculation, which you may or may not already have thought of. There are other scenarios which could be what happened as well. Good luck in the search, and if more specific info comes to light, please share it here. You've now got me - and probably others - curious!