Railroad Forums 

• River Sub railfanning by bus

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#58926  by njtmnrrbuff

I currently attend Mercy College and I am an avid passenger buff. However, I do like freight, mainly motive power. Does anyone have any suggestions of railfanning along the River Sub from lets say Blauvelt up as north as Haverstraw that are accessible by Transport of Rockland Bus Service. I don't drive and I could only do this Fridays and Saturdays due to TZX not running.

#59037  by Otto Vondrak

Not likely, friend. The River Line is not exactly something you can tour by bus. Best bet- con a friend of yours to driving up to nearby Bear Mountain, and spend a day in that area. Better than the hassle of trying to get trackside by public transit. Not to mention that you need to be trackside early- between sunup and 12:00 to see anything, then come back between 3:00 and 8:00 pm... or sometimes see nothing at all. the River Line is so unpredictable.

-otto-

#59281  by District D RTC

NJT/MNRR Buff, contact me privately and I'll tell you what there is to know. I am finishing WCC this somester, and although I drive, I would be happy to give you all the info. There are several spots....

#59307  by trainfreak

Yeah the River Sub is definatley one of those hit or miss lines. Sometimes you can see three trains in one hour and nothing for the next two hours. It makes things interesting. I recently "struck out" and saw no trains when i was down there of course it was midday which im sure aided in the striking out.