Railroad Forums 

• River Line wayside signs

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#5501  by bellstbarn

On the River Line, what is indicated by the vertical yellow wayside sign with the letters "D I B" ? Thanks.

DIB

#5542  by chuchubob

Delay in Block

Somebody else can explain what that means.

#5550  by Sirsonic

Delay in Block Sign

A visual reminder to push pull trains that rule 504(b) applies in this block.

Rule 504(b) states that push pull trains operating on a track with a speed limit greater than 30 mph and cab signals not in effect for the direction of movement are restricted as follows. A push pull train that makes a station stop, or reduces speed to below 10 mph for any reason between a distant signal and a home signal must proceed not exceeding 40 mph prepared to stop at the home signal until the nest signal can be seen to be displaying a proceed aspect, and the track is clear to the next signal. The train may then continue operation under the previos signal indication.

The definition of a push pull train is any train with a cab car or MU at either end.

This rule was created as required by FRA emergency order 20 issued in 1996. This rule was put forth after the accident in Silver Spring, MD, in which a push pull train passed a distant signal at approach, and after making a station stop, accelerated to 67 mph. The train then proceeded past the next signal, which was displaying a stop signal, and into the side of an Amtrak train.

Also, the River Line is operated under NORAC rules.

#5573  by EDM5970

Why is this push-pull specific? Shouldn't the rule apply to any train, like a GP-40 pulling Comets, and making a station stop?

I am aware of the Silver Spring accident. Not trying to be a smart-ass here, but just wondering why the rule is worded this way-

#5645  by Jtgshu

Like Sirsonic said, a "pushpull" train is basically all the trains that NJT runs. Even MU's are considered "push pulls" in regard to the rule.

Any passenger equipment that doesn't have to be wyed or have the engine runaround it is considered "pushpull" (i.e. long distance trains which only stop in certain stops, not every station it passes)

IMO adn they way I understand it, "pushpull" is a way of saying commuter rail - can accelorate relatively quickly, and stop relatively quickly, and makes frequent stops at intermediate locations, not just at major stops and terminals.

#5704  by Sirsonic

The actual definition of push pull train I used comes from the NORAC operating rules. It defines push pull train as a train with an MU or cab car at either end. So, therefore, if a train has a locomotive at one end, but no cab car, it is not a push pull train. If it has a cab car it is a push pull train, and rules 504(b) and 94(b) will apply.
 #5926  by bellstbarn

Thanks for the explanations. Now, how about the signs with black letters on a white square, W on the top line, MX below it (if my memory is correct)?

#5927  by EDM5970

That one's easy- Its a Whistle post for Multiple crossXings-

#6026  by ryanov

Sirsonic wrote:The actual definition of push pull train I used comes from the NORAC operating rules. It defines push pull train as a train with an MU or cab car at either end. So, therefore, if a train has a locomotive at one end, but no cab car, it is not a push pull train. If it has a cab car it is a push pull train, and rules 504(b) and 94(b) will apply.
...see this is where I have the confusion though. The Amtrak trains therefore would not be push-pull... but why wouldn't this rule benefit them as well?

#6136  by transit383

And furthermore, what happens on occasion when Amtrak's trains run with the Amfleet Cab Cars? Are they then considered push-pull?

As I see it, the way it should be is that push-pull should be meant to mean only when the cab car or MU is leading the train.

#6722  by Sirsonic

I get in trouble when I ask questions, so I just go with what they tell me. I dont know why push-pull train is defined the way it is, but the FRA has writen the rule that way. Emergency Order 20 is still on their website, but I forget how to find it. EO 20 is the FRA order, later a regulation, that requires the DIB rule.

#6997  by Sirsonic

I should also add that the signal prior to that station with the DIB sign, and in fact all of the distant signals on the River Line are marked with a round yellow sign with a black D on it. This is a visual reminder to push pull trains that rule 504(b) applies in that block. It is use on the signal itself. The DIB sign is found between the distant signal, with the D, and the DIB sign at the station.
 #7963  by bellstbarn

Another question: What is the meaning of the orange disks with the letters LRT in blue? Thanks.

#8228  by blueduck577

I think it means for the LRVs to turn on the bell.