Railroad Forums 

• Research Vehicle

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#328965  by pennsy

Hi,

This appears to be a converted engine, probably an SD unit. So, my guess would be that there is at least one test engine on board being evaluated etc. With the C-C trucks it would be logical to use it for R & D for new control mechanisms and electronics etc. Only limited by the imagination.

#328969  by ExEMDLOCOTester

pennsy wrote:Hi,

This appears to be a converted engine, probably an SD unit. So, my guess would be that there is at least one test engine on board being evaluated etc. With the C-C trucks it would be logical to use it for R & D for new control mechanisms and electronics etc. Only limited by the imagination.
Thanks Pennsy, but I am not looking for an assumption.

Anyone out there know what this puppy is designed to do?

#328978  by Nelson Bay

It's a track geometry car. The link you provided tells you that!

#328989  by scottychaos

Nelson Bay wrote:It's a track geometry car. The link you provided tells you that!
no, it doesnt.

Scot

#329037  by ExEMDLOCOTester

My Apologies.

This link describes it as a, Test Car, A track geometry research slug, an SD 35, and a slug of a research set. This information is only as good as the knowledge of the photographer.

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos. ... er=NS%2034

Why would a slug be used to test track geometry?

#329048  by ExEMDLOCOTester

ExEMDLOCOTester wrote:My Apologies.

This link describes it as a, Test Car, A track geometry research slug, an SD 35, and a slug of a research set. This information is only as good as the knowledge of the photographer.

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos. ... er=NS%2034

Why would a slug be used to test track geometry?

Here is what I found:

http://www.northeast.railfan.net/train_notes.html#ns33

"NS Inspection cars 33 &34
NS 34
SD 35 N&W 1530 was built in 1965 and in service until 1976. NW 1530 was rebuilt as road slug model RP-E6 and numbered NW 9921 in 1977. The 9921 was placed in long term storage in 1993. In 1998 the unit entered service as track geometry car NS 34.
NS 33
Coach Union Pacific 5441 was constructed by ACF in 1950. At one time the car was in service as Alaska RR 5441. NS purchased the car in 1994 and it was rebuilt as a track geometry car NS 33 by the Roanoke Passenger Car Shop and the the NS Research & Tests Department. NS 33-NS 34 coupled traverse the NS system twice a year measuring and recording track geometry, rail profiles, collecting track video and recording DGPS data. The NS 34 contains the power plant to provide electricity to the pair. The geometry measuring devices are located on the NS34 in order to collect data under the weight of a fully loaded rail car. NS 33 contains the data processing equipment. NS 33 allows for seating of Engineering Department personnel that monitor the test at individual computer display work stations. The cars are in Norfolk Southern's standard office car paint scheme. - per John Beirne, Manager, track inspection "

The Beast is used for weight and HEP.

#329072  by Nelson Bay

scottychaos wrote:
Nelson Bay wrote:It's a track geometry car. The link you provided tells you that!
no, it doesnt.

Scot
No worries Scot. I accept your apology.

#329235  by scottychaos

Nelson Bay wrote:
scottychaos wrote:
no, it doesnt.

Scot
No worries Scot. I accept your apology.
then im confused..
I still dont see it..

where on this page:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=97970

does it say "track geometry car"?

Scot

#329243  by Nelson Bay

From the tester link:

Photo ID: 109052

Locomotive:

Norfolk Southern
NS 34
Location/Date of Photo:

Passenger Lead Track, NS Mingo 4 Yard
Mingo Junction, Ohio, USA
June 09, 2005
Locomotive No./Train ID

NS 34
905 Photographer:

RJVitchner
Contact RJVitchner

Correct Photo Info

Remarks: NS Track Geometry research Slug 34 is ready to be taken to Conway, Pa by a Mingo Crew

Scot,

Yep, it says it is a track geometry car.

#329265  by Jtgshu

I was confused at first - but then saw it - Click on the "more" next to NS 34

It gives descriptions on OTHER pictures of the NS34

#329399  by scottychaos

Nelson Bay wrote:From the tester link:

Locomotive:

Norfolk Southern
NS 34
Location/Date of Photo:

June 09, 2005
Locomotive No./Train ID

NS 34
905 Photographer:

RJVitchner
Contact RJVitchner

Correct Photo Info

Remarks: NS Track Geometry research Slug 34 is ready to be taken to Conway, Pa by a Mingo Crew

Scot,

what is the "tester link"?
ok..I give up..
thats not the same photo that we are talking about..
look at the FIRST link in this thread..show me on THAT page where it says ""track geometry car"..you cant, because it isnt there.

the simple point is that this page:

the link that was originally supplied in the first message of this thread,
does NOT say "track geometry car" anywhere on that page..
but have it your way..I see I am dealing with someone who must always be right, even when they are wrong...resistiance is futile.

Scot

#329424  by ExEMDLOCOTester

scottychaos wrote:
Nelson Bay wrote:From the tester link:

Locomotive:

Norfolk Southern
NS 34
Location/Date of Photo:

June 09, 2005
Locomotive No./Train ID

NS 34
905 Photographer:

RJVitchner
Contact RJVitchner

Correct Photo Info

Scot,

what is the "tester link"?
ok..I give up..
thats not the same photo that we are talking about..
look at the FIRST link in this thread..show me on THAT page where it says ""track geometry car"..you cant, because it isnt there.

the simple point is that this page:

the link that was originally supplied in the first message of this thread,
does NOT say "track geometry car" anywhere on that page..
but have it your way..I see I am dealing with someone who must always be right, even when they are wrong...resistiance is futile.

Scot
Hey Scot

I agree that the original link did not convey that NS 34 is a "track geometry car". After your supporting statment / rebuttal to Mr. Nelson Bay, I cursored around the pic page and found more links. This was my first time really exploring the Rail Pic site so I can chalk this one to user inexperence!

I do not understand how NS 34 can be described as a "track geometry car" since its purpose is ballast and HEP. The sensors under the unit are remote from the control gear in the true "track geometry car" NS 33. I have searched for NS engineering spec of the unit but cannot find one. The spec will describe what the unit was truly labeled and not what a photographer interpets or copy's from a website about the subject.

Remember "It must be true if you hear it on the radio, or see it on TV or in the web"!

HA!!! :-D :-D :-D

#329488  by Engineer James

Mingo Crew?? *Confused*