Railroad Forums 

• Repowering an HO Bachmann Metroliner

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#859351  by green_elite_cab

ac0catenary wrote:
Bachmann Tower Motor.. Although they get a bad wrap
You can get legitimate performance when you wire both power cars with tower motors to one decoder with 128 speed steps from there you can program the decoder for optimum start voltage. With these Modifications The metros can crawl slow and reach an incredible top speed. A four car set is faster than the Acela.
Doesn't it growl like crazy though? I wonder if they can be tuned to be better.
All I need from the RDC is the wheel chassis .. The underbody is not needed. Since the RDC is already balanced for pulling power its a good start (less modifications) and I dont mind sacrificing an RDC for a MU anyday. speacially at $24.. I have a ton of wheel sets that I can swap in and out for the right wheel size ..u also get a circuit board, leds and a partial interior. I can use that extra money to buy sound decoders
oh, so you actually physically remove the drive components (the motor, drive, and trucks) from the frame and then install it into the metroliner frame? I suppose that makes sense. On a side note, do you have an PRSL or reading shells? I may be persuaded to make an exchange for parts :P
On another note .. GEC post some picts of the stemmann Pant and if you have it a video of the NWSL power truck on your Arrow 3.. would like to see how it worked out
gotta get my camera fixed (stupid nylon gears) but as soon as i can, i'll post a few of it. as for the arrow III, its on a Black Beetle power truck, and I'll get a video at my club the next chance i get. the black beetle looks close enough to the NWSL trucks that i think they should be the same, especially with NWSL reputation.
For the Metro Roof Hump I found a good Picture that shows that the hump isnt flat on top but kinda like a "stealth fighters cockpit" I never saw the IHP version .. I ask him what is up with that
I don't think there was enough interest in the "capitoliner". I know i would buy some shells today to put over my own frames, but it looks like IHP is geared up on Arrows and Silverliners now anyways.

Actually, there were two varieties of roof humps. The original rebuilds by GE had a rounded hump. subsequent rebuilds had an angular hump.

"experimental" rebuild-

http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/amtk815.jpg

Production rebuild-

http://www.railpictures.net/images/d1/0 ... 462220.jpg
 #859519  by green_elite_cab

AntonioFP45 wrote: For repowering a modeler on another forum recommended the "Bull Ant" power truck. http://www.hollywoodfoundry.com/shopdis ... MechanismsThe weird problem with the Metros is that their trucks are 9 feet long and they use 40" locomotive wheels. The trucks and wheels from the P1K RDC's: Trucks are too short in length and the wheels are too small in diameter.

I would prefer a cheaper option. I plan on just having one of the Metros powered (DCC with sound) while the rest of the cars will have interior lighting.
STOP! DON'T GET the 40" wheels!

the Metroliners run on 36" wheels. here is the proof- check in the bottom left, i know its small.

#859647  by green_elite_cab

jetfan wrote:What book is that Chris?

I don't remember, i think it was the 1970 Car and locomotive cyclopedia. It was $100 and had EVERYTHING in it, literally. locomotives, freight cars, passenger cars, equipment that goes into all that stuff. It looked more like it was meant as a railroad catalog.

It had SIlverliner III /Arrow I plans, as well as a few for some subways and other MU cars.

The guy at the show I was at let me take photographs of the pages relevant to me, since the rest of it was all madness.
 #859733  by ApproachMedium

The metroliners do in fact run on 36 inch wheels, I know, i stand next to the ex cab cars at work. 40 inch wheels would not fit well under these cars.
 #859757  by jetfan

green_elite_cab wrote: I don't remember, i think it was the 1970 Car and locomotive cyclopedia.

Thanks Chris,
I just picked up a copy on Ebay, be here in a few days.
 #859779  by green_elite_cab

jetfan wrote:
green_elite_cab wrote: I don't remember, i think it was the 1970 Car and locomotive cyclopedia.

Thanks Chris,
I just picked up a copy on Ebay, be here in a few days.
Do i see Metroliner cab cars in our future? at the very least, some good Silverliner IIIs/Arrow Is (and i mean good! check those prototype photos!). That would be awesome.
 #871268  by AntonioFP45

Guys, thanks for the information regarding the Metroliner wheel sizes. The info I got was a couple of decades ago. However, are the trucks still 9 footers? They do appear to be longer than RDC and Doodlebug trucks.
 #871374  by AntonioFP45

Thank you, ApproachMedium.

I sometimes feel like I'm losing brain cells. When passenger car and locomotive trucks are measured, as far as length....is it from wheel center to wheel center or is it the distance from the ends? Been a modeler for 3 decades and it frustrates me a bit that I used to be a walking encyclopedia when it came to little details like this, but I'm "gittin older".
 #871391  by ApproachMedium

Thats a good question, I wouldnt know so if you could find out what the modelers are measuring by to the prototype ill make sure to get you the correct measurements!
 #875232  by AntonioFP45

ApproachMedium, Guys,

Thanks for your help.

I know now to go with 9 foot trucks and 36" wheels.

There was a modeler on another forum stating that the Metros had 40" wheels and compared a wheel from an HO Bachmann Metro and compared it to a wheel on an HO locomotive, stating that they were the same size. But is this is the case he should keep in mind that model manufacturers don't always keep things prototypical.

Now to decide to which repowering option to go with as my primary concern is for it to run as smoothly as my P2K E-units. I only need to repower one unit but want to have interior lighting in all of the cars. One other car, besides the power car, will also have functional headlights (with the gyra-light in the center) so that I may run the train in the opposite direction with proper lighting. Will be going with LEDs.
 #875254  by ApproachMedium

9 foot trucks? I said the metro has 8"6' wheel centers, but maybe you mean the truck length itself? I have more dimensions in the book if you need them.