• Report SEPTA Delays Here:

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by PopeDX

Apparently inbound trains were running 45+ minutes late today around 5 on the R5 L/D...something about a breakdown in North Wales.
  by Matthew Mitchell

PopeDX wrote:Apparently inbound trains were running 45+ minutes late today around 5 on the R5 L/D...something about a breakdown in North Wales.
4253 had an equipment problem and was annulled. 567 was behind 4253 and reportedly tried to assist it, but it didn't work and it was seriously delayed or annulled. 369 was 20 minutes late into Jenkintown.
  by scotty269

Broad Street Subway was shutdown for approx 2-3 hours this afternoon, starting around 12-12:30ish due to a jumper. This was perfect timing too, as public schools had early dismissal today. I ended up looking for a shuttle bus at Erie, trying to head into Center City. I was looking around, and realized the 23 was right there. Shame it's still a bus route and hasn't been redone with trolleys...
  by R3 Passenger

Train 331 is late and full of Flower Show commuters. Expressing from Philmont to Temple Phillies Parade style..
  by Matthew Mitchell

Anyone know what happened in the rush hour tonight? 0150 and bunch of other trains going to the Reading side were 20-25 minutes late.
  by scotty269

Matthew Mitchell wrote:Anyone know what happened in the rush hour tonight? 0150 and bunch of other trains going to the Reading side were 20-25 minutes late.
Sorry, tonight was the first time in awhile I haven't had my scanner on.
  by BuddSilverliner269

Matthew Mitchell wrote:Anyone know what happened in the rush hour tonight? 0150 and bunch of other trains going to the Reading side were 20-25 minutes late.
Hi Matt, hope this helps. I figured maybe it was Arsenal int crapping out ,but I was close enough......

Report #: 6344
Train: Consist:
Crew data:
Recorded by: LJW
Remarks: TOL on No. 5 track between Arsenal and Walnut interlockings.
Cause:
Incident: TOL
Train# Delay Status Details
0150 S 13 TOLS SOUTH OF WALNUT INT
* 0150 N 13 TOLS SOUTH OF WALNUT INT.
0150 S 5 HELD AT PHIL A/C WAITING FOR TRAINS TO
CLEAR ARSENAL A/C TOLS
0150 N 5 HELD AT PHIL A/C WAITING FOR TRAINS TO
CLEAR ARSENAL A/C TOLS
386 N 7 FOLLOWED SEVERAL TRAINS CENTER CITY TO
JENKIN A/C LATE DUE TO TOL SOUTH OF
WALNUT INT.
4254 N 5 TOL SOUTH OF WALNUT INT
4258 N 4 TOL AT SOUTH OF WALNUT INT.
* 5251 S 3 TOLS SOUTH OF WALNUT INT.
8156 S 6 TOL SOUTH OF WALNUT INT.
* 852 N 7 FOLLOWED 0150 CENTER CITY TO WAYNE
9152 S 7 HELD AT PHIL A/C WAITING FOR TRAINS TO
CLEAR ARSENAL A/C TOLS
9172 S 7 HELD AT PHIL A/C TOLS SOUTH OF WALNUT ITN.
9254 S 6 HELD AT PHIL FOR 4668 TO CLEAR ARSENAL A/C
TOL
  by khecht

Potentially dumb question. What's TOL - track off line, trespasser on line, or something similar?
  by Matthew Mitchell

khecht wrote:Potentially dumb question. What's TOL - track off line, trespasser on line, or something similar?
Not dumb at all--"track occupied light." It indicates when the signal system thinks there's a train in the block, and in this case it falsely showed the track being occupied. That then would have set a stop signal at Arsenal(*). So rather than have 0150 run up from Phil(#) and then sit at that stop signal and tie up the track, the dispatcher held it at Phil.

Also, to answer the next good questions: "A/C" is railroad shorthand for "on account of" and there are separate reports for 0150 S and 0150 N because they keep track of on-time performance separately for both legs of the trip from the Airport to Glenside. 0150 S is the leg from Terminal E to Suburban, and 0150 N is the leg from Suburban to Glenside. So in this case, we see in the report that 386 was not significantly delayed coming in from Elwyn to Center City, since otherwise we'd see some kind of accounting for 386 S, but it was delayed between Center City and West Trenton (386 N). Note that S and N in this case are not referring to southbound and northbound, but instead what side of the railroad they're on. Northbound and southbound are denoted by the even or odd number of the train.

*--Arsenal is where the West Chester branch connects to the Amtrak NEC
#--Phil is where the Airport line connects to the NEC

Part of the reason I was curious about this delay was to ascertain whether the platform indicators were reporting things properly, or whether they had failed to pick up an earlier delay to the train. I got to Suburban just about the time that train should have been at 30th Street, and I saw the minutes late ticking up on the indicator, consistent with the train not being into SEPTA territory yet. So the system was working properly.
  by Matthew Mitchell

0213 had equipment problems, and then derailed car 9004 in the process of backing the consist onto the layoff track at Glenside. A gang there now (9:20 am) getting ready to rerail it.
  by Matthew Mitchell

Had a chance to take a look at the site this morning, though I couldn't see much because the fence was in the way. Some fresh cuts visible on the ties, but I couldn't see whether there were cuts all the way up to the switch points and figure out where the car derailed.
  by Matthew Mitchell

Wires down on the Warminster. I'm guessing it was 4119 that brought them down, since I was intending to take that train and it ran into problems and never showed up at Glenside.
  by glennk419

Matthew Mitchell wrote:Wires down on the Warminster. I'm guessing it was 4119 that brought them down, since I was intending to take that train and it ran into problems and never showed up at Glenside.
Good call. 4119 came through Roslyn about 15 minutes late with the pan locked down on the third car, SLIII 223. Ironically, 4212 went northbound through Roslyn on time, not sure how far he got. The wire train then went north through Roslyn at 9:31 and returned at 11:04 so the damage must have been relatively minor.
  by Matthew Mitchell

SEPTA is reporting "police activity" between Lansdale and Doylestown, all service suspended.

Update: service restored. 6523 25 min late a/c police activity at Colmar.
  by Matthew Mitchell

Matthew Mitchell wrote:SEPTA is reporting "police activity" between Lansdale and Doylestown, all service suspended.
Grade crossing collision at Colmar. 4520 engine 293 hit a minivan that was too close to the tracks.