Railroad Forums 

• Renaming Boston's subway stations

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1638396  by apodino

Is this posted online anywhere? SInce i currently live in Texas, I cannot easily get to the BPL to see this.
 #1638446  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: This MBTA Leventhal Rapid Transit map is basically a classic example of local satire...

If one enjoys satire they will very much understand the interesting station names used on this map...

In reality I am not a fan of totally re-naming long established station names without a significant reason...
Naming rights sales not withstanding - especially if there is a potential to confuse riders...

Imagine the rider CHAOS that something like this in its entirety would cause...The MBTA would probably never
hear the end of the backlash and criticism they would likely get from all angles...

It's still all in good humor nontheless...MACTRAXX
 #1638476  by caduceus

The T has tried several times to sell naming rights to stations, and failed miserably every time as potential sponsors have been unwilling to pony up the cash. I recall that Downtown Crossing had a naming sponsor (Webster Bank?) for a short time but it was largely ignored.
 #1638481  by jwhite07

The naming rights experiment I recall was State Street being briefly renamed State/Citizen's Bank, and to further confound and confuse it was only applied on the Blue Line level of the station. Yes, it was a largely ignored epic fail and thankfully (and IMNSHO, rightfully) the concept faded away quickly.