• Remembering the 01400s

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Robert Paniagua

Nice jscola30, I'm glad they are in that closer track, hopefully they'll dock them there from now one rather than at the track facing Foundry Street.
  by cpontani

I did have the chance to ride them back in the day on a handful of occasions. They were tanks. They were relics. And why didn't anybody bring up the doors on the outside with the latches that came down and locked when they closed? While I'm sure the same mechanism is in every subway car within the walls, for some dumb reason, I felt trapped inside these things. But I have to agree, they swallowed up crowds, and I think I was on one that ran express from Park to Harvard. By the time I was regularly commuting on the Red Line, they were pretty much taken out of service. With the old-style straps and the flickering incadescent lights, they really were the closest thing the T had to a NYC subway car. It's too bad I didnt' ride them on the South Shore, where they really could have been opened up and cruised...
  by RailBus63

They were an awesome ride on the South Shore line back when trains still went 50 mph and would rocket over the Anderson bridge at speed.
  by MBTA3247

RailBus63 wrote:They were an awesome ride on the South Shore line back when trains still went 50 mph and would rocket over the Anderson bridge at speed.
Is that what the Neponset River bridge is called?
  by typesix

They rode great on the South Shore line because it was the best track then and so the Blue Birds didn't bounce all over the place.
  by Robert Paniagua

Yes, the Anderson Flyover is the bridge over the Neponset River.

And yesterday afternoon from my 4:40 PM Middleboro train (019), I saw the 01400 trin docked again at the closest track next to the CR thus enabling me to get a movie of them as my CR train was snaking by.
  by RailBus63

MBTA3247 wrote:
RailBus63 wrote:They were an awesome ride on the South Shore line back when trains still went 50 mph and would rocket over the Anderson bridge at speed.
Is that what the Neponset River bridge is called?
Yes - the full name is the George L. Anderson Bridge, named for a former member of the South Shore chamber of commerce and MBTA director.
  by jscola30

I've noticed 2 of them are gone. Are they at another location on the system?
  by Gerry6309

Probably in the shop. Work car maintenance may have become an issue since the tamper broke down.
  by jscola30

Actually saw the other two in the yard today, just separated. It seemed to be trainlining with two 01600s.
  by Gerry6309

They don't trainline, so something is being towed. Comtrol equipment and motors are similar though, so repairs are not a major issue.
  by Robert Paniagua

Oh I see, I'll have to watch out for them separate, but hopefully they'll be reattached to run as the 4-car Work Motor Train. I think maybe the 015 or 01600 train may just be towing it, since these cannot trainline with the 01400s
  by jscola30

Two of them were next to the cabot shops on Friday.
  by jscola30

all 4 back together, saw them today
  by WoofyMutt80

I'm new to this forum, and I joined just for the 01400's! I so remember riding them in the early 90's before they were retired! They were so nostalgic! The only issue I had was one day, when I was 11 my mother and I were riding on a 01400 from Quincy Adams headed to Park Street. It was Oct of 91 and the "No Name" storm was approaching. The train broke down at JFK/UMASS and were were left on the platform holding on to each other because it was sooooo windy! I felt sooo bad the train broke down since I loved riding the 01400's!